Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Manjula G (manjg)" <ma...@cisco.com> on 2006/05/25 10:56:46 UTC

How can i fill the template(word doc) from java program

Hi All,

  I need to read the template(word doc) & fill in the template according
to the input data.How can i achive this in java.Is it possible to do it
with HWPF! Kindly help me.

Thanks,
Manjula

RE: How can i fill the template(word doc) from java program

Posted by Andrew Shumway <An...@issinc.com>.
There is a way to do this with Excel files.  Like the approach you mention,
it uses the Jakarta.poi project's HSSF (excel counterpart to the word HWFP)
utilities.

However, we also use the open-source http://jxls.sourceforge.net/ project
which defines the template metatags and actually does all of the file
reading, manipulation and serialization.

So, I'm confident that poi's HSSF can be used to do this but developing
enough structure in a free-form word document as well as the meta-tagging
could be a challenge

--andrew shumway