Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de> on 2017/05/28 19:52:59 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Restructure OFBiz Wiki

Dear all,

according to OFBIZ-9171 [1] I am trying to get some ground to
restructure our wiki pages. Digging deeper, it becomes more clear to me
that we have a lot of todos to get this clean and user friendly. I am
not surprised that users have serious problems to dig through all this
stuff which is cluttered all over the different spaces.

There is some good documentation buried there and I think it is well
worth to work on it.

The changes will be huge, I think, and I'm not sure how to start.

I tried to work out some basic ideas and put them in a mind map. It's
only the tip of the iceberg but it could be a start.

I think it's too much work to do this for alle pages we have so I'd like
to ask you about your opinions about the following proposed next steps:

1. make the basic structure based on the mind map proposal (after
review, discussion and related changes).
2. move everything to Attic/ Outdated Resources which is outdated or has
no substantial content. This can be reviewed and revived later.
3. move all subpages to the corresponding main areas
4. think about the use of different spaces. I think they are overhead
and everything should be moved under [2].
    See also Jacopo's proposal on [3], which went a bit off-track with
no decision on the base topic.
5. review and rewrite the contents to match the new structure (divide,
join, delete,...)

The main question I have is: do we have to discuss every move or even do
proposals beforehand or can we just decide on the main structure and
move on from there? This would make the process much more efficient.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9171
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Home
[3]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/213b00513d1b223863bc7d37d4497e125e38b51115905dfa258e4e64@%3Cdev.ofbiz.apache.org%3E

Re: [PROPOSAL] Restructure OFBiz Wiki

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Thank you Michael,

I second your proposal!

Jacopo

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael

I've taken a look at the your mind map structure in the Jira and I think
it's good. So +1 from me to go ahead with the proposal.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
I see this mind-map and think to myself there is good effort done in
thinking about it.

+1 to proceed with changes based on what's there. In my opinion, we
shouldn't worry too much about agreeing on structure. Our current wiki is
in a bad shape and any work done on it is better than keeping it as is.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacques,

thanks for the link. I will take the ideas there into account.

The Mind Map, at first glance, seems to be a representation of the pages
which exists at the time of writing. It's huge and shows the amount of
work which lies before us just to restructure and consolidate the
material we have. Not to mention the necessary effort to review and
update the content...

It will be much clearer if we have a structure and see what's there.

Thanks,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Michael,

Inline too

Le 31/05/2017 à 14:41, Michael Brohl a écrit :
> Hi Jacques,
>
> inline...
>
> Not sure if we have the same understanding: I am proposing to move all outdated and portentially obsolete ressources to some sub-page called Attic
> or Outdated Resources. I am not proposing to delete them. I think it's too dangerous if someone (accidently) purges the trash can and all resources
> are gone.

+1

Thanks

Jacques

Re: [PROPOSAL] Restructure OFBiz Wiki

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacques,

inline...

> Am 30.05.17 um 19:33 schrieb Jacques Le Roux:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> I quickly reviewed your mindmap. I understand it's just a start and I
>> mostly agree about its content.
>>
>> To ease the work, I agree we can begin by (ab)using of deletion
>> because anyway it's easy to restore a page from the trashcan (as long
>> as we don't empty it). But only when someone really care, with some
>> good reasons.

Not sure if we have the same understanding: I am proposing to move all
outdated and portentially obsolete ressources to some sub-page called
Attic or Outdated Resources. I am not proposing to delete them. I think
it's too dangerous if someone (accidently) purges the trash can and all
resources are gone.

>> I did not read again the thread on the several spaces, but IIRW we
>> mostly agreed about merging almost all in the (open) wiki.
>>
>> I had a (vague) thought about loosely following the same structure
>> than the new site, but I did not think enough about it.
>>
>> So yes, maybe we still need to agree about the main structure and you
>> did a very good start!
Thanks, Jacques.

Regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Re: [PROPOSAL] Restructure OFBiz Wiki

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
OK found it, there is a "reply to list" button available

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes thanks Michael,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacques,