Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID> on 2019/02/28 00:27:24 UTC

[VOTE] SPIP: Spark API for Table Metadata

Hi everyone,

In the last DSv2 sync, the consensus was that the table metadata SPIP was
ready to bring up for a vote. Now that the multi-catalog identifier SPIP
vote has passed, I'd like to start one for the table metadata API,
TableCatalog.

The proposal is for adding a TableCatalog interface that will be used by v2
plans. That interface has methods to load, create, drop, alter, refresh,
rename, and check existence for tables. It also specifies the set of
metadata used to configure tables: schema, partitioning, and key-value
properties. For more information, please read the SPIP proposal doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zLFiA1VuaWeVxeTDXNg8bL6GP3BVoOZBkewFtEnjEoo/edit#heading=h.m45webtwxf2d>
.

Please vote in the next 3 days.

[ ] +1: Accept the proposal as an official SPIP
[ ] +0
[ ] -1: I don't think this is a good idea because ...

Thanks!

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

[RESULT] [VOTE] SPIP: Spark API for Table Metadata

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
This vote passes with 10 +1 votes (4 from PMC members) and no -1 or +0
votes.

Thanks for reviewing the proposal and voting, everyone!

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [VOTE] SPIP: Spark API for Table Metadata

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
+1

We reviewed and discussed this for quite some time.

________________________________

From:Jamison Bennett <ja...@cloudera.com.INVALID>>
Date:Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 8:28 AM
To:Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com>>, Spark Dev List <de...@spark.apache.org>>

jamison.bennett@cloudera.com<ma...@cloudera.com>

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 8:34 PM Russell Spitzer <ru...@gmail.com>> wrote:

+1 (non-binding)

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019, 6:28 PM Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.invalid>> wrote:

Hi everyone,

In the last DSv2 sync, the consensus was that the table metadata SPIP was ready to bring up for a vote. Now that the multi-catalog identifier SPIP vote has passed, I'd like to start one for the table metadata API, TableCatalog.

The proposal is for adding a TableCatalog interface that will be used by v2 plans. That interface has methods to load, create, drop, alter, refresh, rename, and check existence for tables. It also specifies the set of metadata used to configure tables: schema, partitioning, and key-value properties. For more information, please read the SPIP proposal doc [docs.google.com]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1zLFiA1VuaWeVxeTDXNg8bL6GP3BVoOZBkewFtEnjEoo_edit-23heading-3Dh.m45webtwxf2d&d=DwMFaQ&c=izlc9mHr637UR4lpLEZLFFS3Vn2UXBrZ4tFb6oOnmz8&r=hzwIMNQ9E99EMYGuqHI0kXhVbvX3nU3OSDadUnJxjAs&m=JmgvL6ffL9tyoLWWZtWujDe9FNiSguMApA53YK9NTP8&s=eSx5nMZvdB5hS9VepuvvFZFXjTCrdde-AdzkHC5jRYk&e=>.

Posted by Xiao Li <li...@databricks.com>.
+1

Posted by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
Thanks Ryan. +1.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [VOTE] SPIP: Spark API for Table Metadata

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [VOTE] SPIP: Spark API for Table Metadata

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Anthony Young-Garner <an...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by John Zhuge <jz...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

--
John Zhuge

Re: [VOTE] SPIP: Spark API for Table Metadata

Posted by Matt Cheah <mc...@palantir.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Jamison Bennett <ja...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [VOTE] SPIP: Spark API for Table Metadata

Posted by Russell Spitzer <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)