Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michelle Bruns <sa...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/29 06:02:31 UTC

Question Title: Newbie Tomcat 4.0 install gives 500 "No Context configured" error @ HTTP localhost

Hi there,

I Installed Tomcat 4.0 (my professor recommended this older version)
on my Win 2000 box. j2sdk1.4.0_01, j2sdkee1.2.1. Before installing
Tomcat, I changed my Oracle XDB port to use 8083 instead of 8080; IIS
is also installed and uses port 80. I have Norton Internet Security
(yes, it makes my life difficult) but it's disabled right now. My conf
XML files and BAT files should be more or less out-of-the-box.

Don't know which errors are most important so I'll throw them all out
there. I Googled on all of them, but could find no solution, even
though I know this question and variants has been asked many times.
Please go easy on this Java newbie. Any pointers will be greatly
appreciated.

My Catalina DOS window that comes up when I invoke startup shows:
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0.1
Starting service Tomcat-Apache
Apache Tomcat/4.0.1

... I have a feeling it should say more than that, but as a newbie I
have no idea.

When I go to http://localhost:8080/ I get an error "HTTP Status 500 -
No Context configured to process this request"

When I go to http://localhost:8080/examples/ I get an error "The
requested resource (/examples) is not available."

My apache log in the tomcats logs folder says:
2005-04-28 23:09:29 [org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector]
Error accepting requests
java.net.SocketException: socket closed
     at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:343)
     at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:438)
     at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:409)
     at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector.run(WarpConnector.java:580)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

Catalina log says:
2005-04-28 23:29:53 HttpProcessor[8080][4] process.invoke
java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.status(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:280)
     at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:180)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
     at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
     at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:462)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:163)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:472)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
     at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.java:1011)
     at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:1106)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

Localhost log is saying something different now than half an hour
ago---I think all I did in between was stop IIS even though it's on
another port:
2005-04-28 23:09:39 StandardContext[/manager]: Error initializing
resources: Document base C:\tomcat4\webapps\manager does not exist or
is not a readable directory
2005-04-28 23:09:39 StandardContext[/manager]: Context startup failed
due to previous errors
2005-04-28 23:09:39 StandardContext[/manager]: Exception during
cleanup after start failed
LifecycleException:  Container StandardContext[/manager] has not been started
     at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.stop(ContainerBase.java:1147)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.stop(StandardContext.java:3440)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3397)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1123)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:612)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1123)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:307)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:388)
     at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:505)
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:776)
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
     at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
2005-04-28 23:33:01 StandardHost[localhost]: MAPPING configuration
error for request URI

--

Michelle Kinsey Bruns

Re: Question Title: Newbie Tomcat 4.0 install gives 500 "No Context configured" error @ HTTP localhost

Posted by Anto Paul <an...@gmail.com>.
On 4/30/05, Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not sure why you had a blank (empty) webapps directory - possibly
> because you chose to download a version of tomcat4.0 which has no examples
> included...
>
> I have done nothing at all to the web.xml. There was abs nothing wrong with
> your TC installation - except that it required an application to see if it
> works. I extracted the root folder from TC4.1.30 and gave it to u. The
> web.xml is the default delivered one for the root app.
>
> hope you have a wonderful project.
> Anoop
>
> On 4/29/05, Michelle Bruns <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > That is perfect! I had almost given up on getting 4.0 and this works
> > beautifully. I will have to look at web.xml to see what exactly you
> > changed, because I found on Google many people with the same problem
> > but no one with the answer. Thank you SO much! You saved my life!

> > On 4/29/05, Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > ok here it is - remove all there is in the webapps folder and extract
> > the
> > > zip file attached into webapps.
> > > restart tomcat...
> > >
> > > then on a browser go to http://localhost:8080/index.html
> > > actually http://localhost:8080/ should work too
> > >
> > > actually you were right - the web.xml I had given was from 5.0 version
> > of
> > > tomcat.. no wonder.....
> > > I didnt spend too much time on this....
> > >

> > > Anoop

> > > do not spend

> > web.xml.
> > stripping
> > > out

> > made

> > will

> > you

> > that
> > your
> > install
> > my

> > > did
> > why
> > > you

> > > --
> > > Thanks and best regards,
> > > Anoop
> > >

> > --
> >

> > Michelle Kinsey Bruns
> > http://www.sapphireblue.com/ * michelle@sapphireblue.com
> >
> > ... I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
> >

> --
> Thanks and best regards,
> Anoop

Actually the web.xml segment given by Anoop is from a Tomcat 5.x
version which is Servlet 2.4 compliant. Tomcat 4.x is Servlet 2.3
compliant. i use this header in web.xml in Tomcat 4.1.12.

<!DOCTYPE web-app

    As far as Tomcat 5.5 is concerned you can develop your assigment
in it but be careful not to use any JSP 2.0/Servlet 2.4 codings. Also
you will have to change web.xml for Tomcat 4.x.
    You can try your luck with Tomcat 4.1.31, which is the latest
stable version in 4.x tree. it is working out of the box for me.

--
rgds
Anto Paul

Re: Question Title: Newbie Tomcat 4.0 install gives 500 "No Context configured" error @ HTTP localhost

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michelle Bruns <sa...@gmail.com>.
Anoop,

Thank you so much for taking so much time to so thoroughly respond to
my message.

I tried your suggestions, but no luck. It sounds to me as if maybe you
are describing a scenario for a newer version of Tomcat than I was
using (4.0, because my instructor said it was "easier", ha). For
example, I have no install file, only a .zip to extract. And when I

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.
lets see if you have everything right:

You have installed tomcat from an install available from the tomcat
website??
I assume yes - so that is out of question that the install file in corrupt.

SO probably you opted for a custom install and checked out that u did NOT
want examples to be installed. If that is true then it explains why you do
not have examples and other folders under webapps.

Ok - tomcat console having only those 4 lines is ok - every version comes
with its own messages - and I could swear that there was a tomcat version
that showed only that much.

The Socket exception - I too get it - but that is only when my database is
down ( I use mysql btw) - but since you have not yet deployed any
application let alone configure it with oracle - I would rule out any
databse probelms as of now.

So u can do this to quickly check if tomcat is up or not.

under webapps directory (there is one I suppose under TOMCAT_HOME/!!)
create a folder called
root
under root create another folder called
WEB-INF
in WEB-INF create an empty file called
web.xml
{enter this info into web.xml:

version="2.4">
</web-app>

} no parantheses.
under the root folder previously created, create an empty file called
m.html

now restart tomcat and on a web browser address bar:
http://localhost:8080/m.html

If this still does not work, you need to make just one more change to
troubleshooot (and reach my wit's end)

stop tomcat
open server.xml
and add this line below the last <Context/> tag:

<Context path="/" docBase="webapps/root" debug="0"/>

then restart Tomcat
and give the same address on a browser.
It should work!!

HTH,
Anoop

On 4/29/05, Michelle Bruns <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I do not have a webapps/ROOT directory. It's not in my install ZIP
> file either. Creating a blank new one doesn't seem to change anything.
>
> According to my services file (BTW, I misspoke when I said Win2000,
> it's WinXP) I have no used ports at all in my 8000 range, although I
> know Oracle uses a couple, so I suppose this list isn't complete; am
> not enough of an admin to know how to check which ports are being
> used. However, changing the 8080 in server.xml to something else had
> no result. I changed it back, have made no other modifications to that
> file.
>
> ugh. My professor was having problems getting Tomcat to run properly
> on the lab machines at school (for which I blame campus sysadmins, not
> Tomcat!), and then told us all, "I promise it'll work at home..." I
> should've gotten it in writing.

> On 4/29/05, Anto Paul <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The second error is with Tomcat manager application. If you dont need
> > this you can remove this application by moving manager.xml from
> > webapps directory.
> > You made any modifications to conf\server.xml ?. Do you have a
> > directory named ROOT in webapps folder. This will be installed by
> > default.
> > Tomcat uses some other ports other than 8080. One is shutdown port
> > 8005 and the other is Apache connector listening on port no 8009.

Thanks and best regards,
Anoop

Re: Question Title: Newbie Tomcat 4.0 install gives 500 "No Context configured" error @ HTTP localhost

Posted by Michelle Bruns <sa...@gmail.com>.