Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Al Chou <ho...@yahoo.com> on 2005/08/09 06:46:34 UTC

Re: [math] SoC Commons-Math Status

Yes, good point, Martin.

James, please see
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg61147.html for an
example of our exercising a decision we made early in Commons Math's history
regarding code derived from _Numerical Recipes_ (in short, using _NR_ as a
source for code without getting written permission violates their license, and
their license is not compatible with the Apache License anyway).

Also please see http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/math/developers.html for
general information and guidelines for Commons Math contributors.

I strongly recommend you post whatever JUnit tests and code you currently have,
regardless of what shape it's in, either to the list or somewhere accessible
via Internet, before continuing with any more coding.  At this point it is
going to be important to make sure you're not wasting your time; deriving code
from _NR_ is not compatible with (probably most if not all) open source
licenses, so it's not just an Apache Software Foundation issue.

Al

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 8/9/05, James M Stephenson <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was worried about using any code from Numerical Recipies, so I have
> refrained from doing so and am using it as a reference in addition to
> Cantrell's book.  The only thing I am using it for is the bits of theory
> here and there within it, not the algorithms.  I am developing those
> myself.  The NR reference is not being used for the compressed matrix
> class, I am not using anything for that apart from Cantrell's book and
> the Lapack reference manual.  I am not reusing any code or algorithms
> from either book.  I will post my JUnit tests and code this evening for
> review.

Great! There is no problem using the NR theory sections as background,
but as discussed, we need to make sure that we do not implement the
algorithms as described there.  Unless it is clear from the code
documentation, your derivation your own algorithms should also be
documented somewhere (ideally in the user guide).

Thanks,

Phil

Re: [math] SoC Commons-Math Status

Posted by Al Chou <ho...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, James.  Looking forward to the code!

Al

Posted by James M Stephenson <jm...@gmail.com>.