Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org> on 2013/01/11 21:23:17 UTC

Auto Format

I have been trying for some time now to find how to regulate or change
or even disable this behavior.  It does not happen in open text, but
only in a table.  iF I type a fraction, when I tab out of the box, it
seems to change it into a date.  For example if I type 1/64 it changes
it to 01/01/64, or 1/32 is changed to 01/01/32. Oddly enough, if I type
1/16 it changes it to 01/16/13.  If, after this happens, I go to the
Edit menu and select "Undo Auto Format" (or something like that), it
changes it back to the original fraction, BUT IT PLACES THE CURSOR BACK
AND IT IS CHANGED AGAIN TO A DATE WHEN I TAB OUT.  Sorry for raising my
voice, but I wanted that part noticed.

Can someone please tell me where to find the control for this behavior
so that I can disable it?

--
Dale Erwin
Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03

Re: Auto Format

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Saturday, 11 January 2013 20:24:00, Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org> wrote:

> iF I type a fraction, when I tab out of the box, it
> seems to change it into a date.  For example if I type 1/64 it changes
> it to 01/01/64, or 1/32 is changed to 01/01/32. Oddly enough, if I type
> 1/16 it changes it to 01/16/13.

openoffice.org help provides the following advice when searched for 'number recognition':

Do one of the following:
Right-click in a table cell and choose Number recognition. When this feature is on, a check mark is displayed in front of the Number recognition command.
Choose Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org Writer - Table, and select or clear the Number recognition check box.

Re: RE: Auto Format

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
> I'm having the opposite problem: 1/2 does not auto-convert to ½ as it once
> did.  How do I get that function to work?

that could be set in the replacement table under "tools/autocorrect options" for the language used.

> (And no, I haven't redone my profile.)

and that seems to be the origin of the evil. after all, you could just try and then switch it back.

RE: Auto Format

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>.
I'm having the opposite problem: 1/2 does not auto-convert to ½ as it once
did.  How do I get that function to work?

Also, I've never been able to get hyphenation to work.  I deleted & reloaded
dictionaries, and even uninstalled and re-installed AOO, but no go.  (And
no, I haven't redone my profile.)

Cheers,
Maurice Howe