Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> on 2007/03/05 15:53:14 UTC

I'll work on fixing the NOTICE files, anyone want to work on the other issues?

If you haven't alreayd seen Jean Anderson's comments on our release
you can see the JIRA issue I just opened.

I'll update the NOTICE files to give attribution to IBM (I'll "borrow"
from Derby :)  I'll create a new branch for this assuming no one's
done it by the time I'm ready to commit. (copying from
tags/uimaj-2.1.0-RC3 to branches/uimaj-2.1.0 unless someone has
another naming suggestion).

Other things that need doing:

Docbook file copyright headers apparently need updating.

Jean thinks our status page needs updating, though we may have gotten
a conflicting opinion from our mentors.  Anyway it would be nice if it
were updated.

We may or may not want to tackle the copyright notices for generated
files (Jean's issue #1, which she said isn't a showstopper).  We might
also want to address other issues since we need a rebuild (e.g. the
Maven-related issues Dan brought up).  Opinions?

-Adam

Re: I'll work on fixing the NOTICE files, anyone want to work on the other issues?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Jean suggested we look at the feedback that Lucine.net just got trying
to release.
Looking at those messages, I think we're OK.  I learned we shouldn't rename
the NOTICE and LICENSE files, even to NOTICE.txt - because they're referred
to by those exact names in the license, but a later post said just the
reverse :-)

-Marshall

Re: I'll work on fixing the NOTICE files, anyone want to work on the other issues?

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 3/5/07, Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> wrote:
>The "svn merge" command can only operate on one working copy
> at a time, so if you don't have the root directory checked out as a
> working copy, you would have to run "svn merge" multiple times, once
> on each directory.  I managed to cook up an xargs command that did
> this for me, and it seemed to work OK.

In case this is useful to anyone else, here is my one-line shell
script for doing an svn merge on all the uima projects:

ls | grep "jVinci\|uima*" | xargs -I {} svn merge -r $1:HEAD
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/branches/$2/{}
{} $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9

The first argument is the revision number, the second argument is the
branch (e.g. uimaj-2.1.0), and after that you can pass whatever other
arguments svn merge accepts (for example --dry-run to have it attempt
the merge and tell you what actions it would have taken, without
actually doing anything).

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
NOTICE files are updated.  I asked Jean in a separate email to confirm
that I did it right.

I also made the Maven packaging changes, adding the DISCLAIMER file to
the jars and tweaking the pom.xml files.  I asked Dan Kulp to confirm
the pom changes.

I did this both in the branch and the trunk.  I've learned some things
about svn's support for merging changes back into the trunk.

If all you did is modify files, one simple thing you can do is just
use "svn diff" to create a patch, then apply the patch to your working
copy of the trunk.  But that doesn't work if you've added, deleted, or
moved files.

There is an "svn merge" which is the preferred way to do merges.
After you commit the changes on the branch, if you want to apply them
to the trunk you go over to your working copy of the trunk and execute
(I think the Eclipse GUI has some support for this too):
svn merge -r <revision#>:HEAD
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/branches/uimaj-2.1.0

This will update your working copy by applying all the differences
that have been committed to the branch since <revision#>.  You can get
the revision# from the commit messages on uima-commits, among other
places.  Note that it applies changes _since_ <revision#> but NOT
including the commit that created <revision#>, so subtract one from
the number of the first commit that you want to be applied to the
trunk.

There's one caveat though.  For this to work you need to have checked
out the "trunk" from SVN.  You cannot have individually checked out
the subdirectories of trunk, which is what usually happens if you use
Eclipse.  The "svn merge" command can only operate on one working copy

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.