Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Alessandro Forghieri <Al...@think3.com> on 2002/07/01 12:13:34 UTC

RE: mod_perl 1.99 on Win2k with Apache2

Greetings.

> Nigel Peck wrote:
> > Thanks for the help. When did I reply to you privately?
>
> This was just to reiterate for everybody to keep the threads on the
> list. Since many times those who respond to the questions, suffer
> afterwards because people decide that the person answering
> the question,
> is a free help desk that you can ask about anything, not
> talking about
[...]

Stas, as one that has been guilty of the  same "offence", let me point out
that 99.9% of the time, seemingly private responses emerge from the list
manager's policy of not munging the Reply-to: header - so the poor schmuck
(me) hits reply and fires off a private reply to the poster.

I know all about "Reply-to: munging considered harmful" and attending flame
wars and I do not wish to delve into the relative pros and cons of the
diveded camps (I'll just say that the lists I administer do the munging -
period). What I wish to do is pointing out that - on non-munging lists -
most standard clients require a conscious decision if they want to reply to
the list, despite the fact that this would be the actual intention most of
the times (so it makes for a poor interface). People stuck - like me - in
Outlook-land have it even worse than most.

Just my 0.02 & cheers,
alf

Re: mod_perl 1.99 on Win2k with Apache2

Posted by David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net>.
Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:

> I'm +1 on using a preset 'Reply-to:' header. httpd-dev seems to use it
> solely for the reason you describe. I'm all for helping people to
> reply back to the list. Ask, can we please have this header set?

Can we please *not*?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net