Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/10/03 01:54:54 UTC

[Tomcat 4.1] Proposed Slight Binary Distribution Rearrangement

I'd like to propose a small change in the binary distribution layout for
the next version of Tomcat (4.1).  It's probably not a good idea to
introduce this in a 4.0.1 maintenance update, though.

Currently, the "Shared" class loader is set up based on unpacked classes
in the "$CATALINA_HOME/classes" directory plus JAR files in the
"$CATALINA_HOME/lib" directory.  I would like to suggest that we change
this to "$CATALINA_HOME/shared/classes" and "$CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib"
instead, to have the directory names be more consistent with the class
loader names.

Anybody have any comments or thoughts on this?

Craig

Re: [Tomcat 4.1] Proposed Slight Binary Distribution Rearrangement

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
+1 Sounds like a good idea

Posted by Remy Maucherat <rm...@home.com>.
> I'd like to propose a small change in the binary distribution layout for
> the next version of Tomcat (4.1).  It's probably not a good idea to
> introduce this in a 4.0.1 maintenance update, though.
>
> Currently, the "Shared" class loader is set up based on unpacked classes
> in the "$CATALINA_HOME/classes" directory plus JAR files in the
> "$CATALINA_HOME/lib" directory.  I would like to suggest that we change
> this to "$CATALINA_HOME/shared/classes" and "$CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib"
> instead, to have the directory names be more consistent with the class
> loader names.
>
> Anybody have any comments or thoughts on this?

+1, if 4.1 happens in the near future. Otherwise, it's a small change, and
it would probably avoid some confusion, so we should roll it back sooner.

Remy

Re: [Tomcat 4.1] Proposed Slight Binary Distribution Rearrangement

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> How about naming it "common" instead of "shared", to match Tomcat 3.3?

There is already a  common/lib in TC4.0

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Jeff Turner wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 19:41:47 +1000
> From: Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [Tomcat 4.1] Proposed Slight Binary Distribution
>     Rearrangement
>
> How about naming it "common" instead of "shared", to match Tomcat 3.3?

There is already a "common" directory, whose "common/classes" and
"common/lib" subdirectories are added to the "Common" class loader.  In
fact, it is *this* pattern that I want "shared" to match :-).

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.