Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> on 2018/03/27 08:12:18 UTC

Browserstack Open Source License for Apache Royale project

Hi,

I contacted Browserstack to use the open source plan and it's ok to do so.
They only ask for us to put on our Github Readme page:

* an hyperlink to their site with his logo [1]
* and a line about how we use BrowserStack to help our project

It's ok to do so? Can I add it to our readme and finish the process to get
the OS license?

I think it's ok but as Apache is sometimes very bureaucratic I prefer to
ask first.

With this done, others in this project that needs to adhere to the OS
license would enter more easily.

Thanks

[1]browserstack-logo-600x315.png
<https://bstacksupport.zendesk.com/attachments/token/p3PH3Y7BQJO1pLLtNXGC5JmD0/?name=browserstack-logo-600x315.png>

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Browserstack Open Source License for Apache Royale project

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

> Hi -
>
> I note that on the Browserstack Open Source page [1] there are a list of
> logos. We are not agreeing to allow any Apache or Royale logo to appear
> anywhere in their site. If they wish to do so then we will need to point
> them to the appropriate Foundation committee - likely starting with
> trademarks, but it would depend. I’m only bringing this up to remind the
> team of the limits.

They not ask us to put our logo in their site. In jus the inverse, they
want us to put a Browserstack logo in our page and reference it.

Thanks

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
If others agree, I’m fine with it.

Harbs

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
btw, this is the latest draft:

https://royale.codeoscopic.com/thanks-to/

(again, logos and text are not final, and put what I found to quickly
layout things, only the adobe logo is matching, but I'll use other we get
the final consensus)

thanks

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Harbs,

> I’ve been thinking about this. I went looking around at what projects do.
> Not many projects even seem to have a thanks page, but the ones that do
> seem to be for tools.
>
> While this seemed weird to me at first, the idea of mentioning more of the
> ecosystem is growing on me. We definitely want as many companies as
> possible to be willing to pay folks to work on Royale and having mention
> and a link on the Royale page can help a company justify the expense.

I think "thanks to" should be seen as a way of only give thanks to
people/companies that do something for us. Don't think that would make any
difference and if a company does not believe in Royale they would not
invest money in nothing related. So for me is only a page that says
"thanks", since as the apache policy says, no company will b there to
promote any service or product and get nothing in exchange, and I think
they don't pursue that at all.

> I have noticed that many projects has a “powered by” page which lists
> companies using the project. It seems reasonable to me to also mention
> other pieces which are “enablers” for the project. In our case this would
> be companies like Bowlerhat and Prominic with their VS Code extension (and
> other tools) and Moonshine. We would need some way to decide who we
> mention. Maybe free tools? Or maybe even commercial tools as well.

So you propose to have another page called "Powered By" maybe in the same
Royale menu (in footer)? right?
For me is ok. There we should have Bowlerhat (for NextGenAs) and Prominic
(for Moonshine). Don't recall other one, maybe others...

> It might be a good idea to start a discussion on this topic, although I’m
> really not sure what the right list would be for that. Maybe com-dev?
> https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@community.apache.org <
> https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@community.apache.org>

I think this list is ok

Thanks

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

It might be a good idea to start a discussion on this topic, although I’m really not sure what the right list would be for that. Maybe com-dev? https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@community.apache.org <ht...@community.apache.org>

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Piotr,

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Browserstack Open Source License for Apache Royale project

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
I'm in favor to name that page Thanks to. Totally agree with Carlos. With
me currently would be the same, one year ago or more I could work on stuff
without any help from the companies, but right now it's the opposite.

Without people who helping me at least very little on Patreon or
Prominic.NET who also is a big supporter of that project and finally Josh's
nextgenactionscript.com - I would just disappear from the mailing list
totally. They also deserve to be on that page.

Thanks,
Piotr

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Browserstack Open Source License for Apache Royale project

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Harbs,

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Om,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Ok Piotr,
I see there's no conversation on this topic, so I'll wait until all is
settled
thanks

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Carlos,

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Browserstack Open Source License for Apache Royale project

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,