Posted to user@commons.apache.org by paul womack <pw...@papermule.co.uk> on 2005/02/16 12:24:48 UTC

[collections] MultiHashIdentityMap ?

I *really* like the MultiMap concept; I have many
uses for it within my app.

However, I have quite a lot of well defined
"pools" of objects.

These are often used as keys to java.util.Maps; since
I *KNOW* I'm OK, I use java.util.IdentityMaps
for performance reasons.

I would very much like to have the same option with MultiHashMap.

MultiHashMap is already carefully designed to allow
the underlying "multi-ness" to be implmented by the
Collection of my choice, by over-riding createCollection();

However, MultiHashMap extends HashMap, which means my request
is no trivial to implement.

If (I suggest :-) it extended AbstractMapDecorator, the underlying
Map could be similarly versatile.

     BugBear

Re: [collections] MultiHashIdentityMap ?

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
There has been demand before for MultiHashMap to extend
AbstractMapDecorator.

I support the concept of MultiMaps produced by decoration, however we cannot
change the existing MultiHashMap class.

Should you, or anyone else, implement a MultiMap based on
AbstractMapDecorator, with test cases, attached to a bugzilla call, then I
would like to add it to [collections].

Stephen