Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2008/07/24 10:04:31 UTC

Server's test failure and CI (Was: JAMES Server Nightly Build Report)

JAMES Nightly Build System ha scritto:
> An automated nightly build of JAMES has been posted to http://people.apache.org/builds/james/nightly/
> Any unit test errors from the build should be reported below:
>     [junit] Tests run: 6, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 8.712 sec
>
> Total time: 3 minutes 17 seconds
> Done. Packages Will Be Uploaded To The Nightly Repository.
> Please review http://people.apache.org/builds/james/nightly/BUILD.log.

I looked at BUILD.log and I see this is a Failure in
RemoteDeliveryTester. I cannot reproduce it and I cannot even understand
from BUILD.log what test exactly is failing. Any idea?

In the mean time I've removed some italian comments I had forgot in that
code.

I cannot reproduce it so I really don't know how you propose to deal
with this. If I leave the test we have a failure (it seems random as
this code has not changed since yesterday and yesterday it succesfully
built), if I remove it we'll never know what is the problem.

Given the recent discussions I decided to comment the most complicate
test to make sure the "testsuite is not broken". IMHO this way this
issue will be forgot in few hours. Let's hope it was not a bug in the
code but a bug in the testsuite (my bad, in that case).

I have no more my CI machine active so I don't know if I can reproduce
this somewhere else. Few weeks ago I asked if anyone knows if JAMES is
entitled in asking some resource in ASF machines to use hudson or
continuum for its projects (the current Nightly Build stuff is under
control of Noel and we have no way to tune or make better investigations
there. We don't even know what is the platform running the build) and if
any committer is against this. I'd like to resetup my CI environment for
JAMES but I would prefer to do this on ASF hosted and JAMES PMC
accessible resources.

Stefano

Re: Server's test failure and CI (Was: JAMES Server Nightly Build Report)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 7/25/08, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>> the current Nightly Build stuff is under control of Noel
>> and we have no way to tune or make better investigations
>> there.
>
> Yes, and I am happy to provide that service to the greater JAMES community.
> Was there a Thank You in there somewhere

Thank you Noel

Robert

Re: JAMES and CI (Was: Server's test failure and CI)

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> +1 It's cool to have an active infra member in the team! :-)

+1,

> PS: "all agree" ??? Be serious, we are JAMES PMC! Reaching a majority
> agreement is a better goal ;-)

Lol.

d.

Re: JAMES and CI (Was: Server's test failure and CI)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:
> I can take care of this if all agree..

I'm happy to help if you need an extra pair of hands.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: JAMES and CI (Was: Server's test failure and CI)

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am Donnerstag, den 24.07.2008, 14:18 +0100 schrieb Robert Burrell
Donkin:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Bernd Fondermann
> <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> > Norman Maurer wrote:

> >> H Stefano,
> >>
> >> all we need is to ask for an login account to hudson. So  we can add our
> >> project(s) via the webinterface. Nothing else.
> >> I can take care of this if all agree..
> >
> > +1, I (at least :-) ) agree
>
> +1
>
> - robert

Here we go:

bye
Norman

Re: JAMES and CI (Was: Server's test failure and CI)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> Norman Maurer wrote:

>>> Norman, I was thinking at somethign similar, but I don't know anything
>>> about zones and how we have to deal with it.
>>>
>>> Who should we ask to have access there? Do we get "administration" rights
>>> that allow us to add/remove projects and configure them? Is there any
>>> guideline?
>>>
>>> IIRC zones "belongs" to PPMCs: what PPMC manage this zone?
>>>
>>> Stefano
>>
>> H Stefano,
>>
>> all we need is to ask for an login account to hudson. So  we can add our
>> project(s) via the webinterface. Nothing else.
>> I can take care of this if all agree..
>
> +1, I (at least :-) ) agree

+1

- robert

Re: JAMES and CI (Was: Server's test failure and CI)

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Norman Maurer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 24.07.2008, 10:40 +0200 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:
>> Norman Maurer ha scritto:

>>> What about askin for adding it to hudson.zones.apache.org ?
>>>
>>> bye
>>> Norman
>> Norman, I was thinking at somethign similar, but I don't know anything
>> about zones and how we have to deal with it.
>>
>> Who should we ask to have access there? Do we get "administration"
>> rights that allow us to add/remove projects and configure them? Is there
>> any guideline?
>>
>> IIRC zones "belongs" to PPMCs: what PPMC manage this zone?
>>
>> Stefano
>
> H Stefano,
>
> all we need is to ask for an login account to hudson. So  we can add our
> project(s) via the webinterface. Nothing else.
>
> I can take care of this if all agree..

+1, I (at least :-) ) agree

   Bernd

Re: JAMES and CI (Was: Server's test failure and CI)

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am Donnerstag, den 24.07.2008, 10:52 +0200 schrieb Norman Maurer:
> Am Donnerstag, den 24.07.2008, 10:40 +0200 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:
> > Norman Maurer ha scritto:

> > > What about askin for adding it to hudson.zones.apache.org ?
> > >
> > > bye
> > > Norman
> >
> > Norman, I was thinking at somethign similar, but I don't know anything
> > about zones and how we have to deal with it.
> >
> > Who should we ask to have access there? Do we get "administration"
> > rights that allow us to add/remove projects and configure them? Is there
> > any guideline?
> >
> > IIRC zones "belongs" to PPMCs: what PPMC manage this zone?
> >
> > Stefano
>
> H Stefano,
>
> all we need is to ask for an login account to hudson. So  we can add our
> project(s) via the webinterface. Nothing else.
>
> I can take care of this if all agree..
>
> bye
> Norman

See:
http://wiki.apache.org/general/Hudson

bye
Norman

Re: JAMES and CI (Was: Server's test failure and CI)

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am Mittwoch, den 06.08.2008, 13:53 -0400 schrieb Noel J. Bergman:
> Norman Maurer wrote:
>
> > > We've talked about having a JAMES zone for testing.
>
> > I think a zone is fine for testing but please not another CI instance
> > running.
>
> Absolutely.  We agree.  We want the zone for TESTING of JAMES, not a CI.
> :-)
>
> 	--- Noel

Ok so I will create an Infra task ( even if I prolly will create the
zone anyway ;-) ) if others like the idea too..

Thoughts ?

bye
Norman

RE: Server's test failure and CI (Was: JAMES Server Nightly BuildReport)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am Donnerstag, den 24.07.2008, 22:33 -0400 schrieb Noel J. Bergman:
> > the current Nightly Build stuff is under control of Noel
> > and we have no way to tune or make better investigations
> > there.
>
> Yes, and I am happy to provide that service to the greater JAMES community.
> Was there a Thank You in there somewhere, or just your usual complaining
> behavior?
>
> > We don't even know what is the platform running the build)
>
> Ubuntu 7.10.  What else would you like to know, since you've never asked?
>
> We've talked about having a JAMES zone for testing.  Of course, you were
> against it the last time, apparently for the sole reason that I suggested
> it.
>
> 	--- Noel

I think a zone is fine for testing but please not another CI instance
running... We have already more then enough CI instances on zones. Thats
just a waste of our "infrastructure resources". Hudson zone already
provide a CI to share for ASF projects...

bye
Norman

Re: Server's test failure and CI (Was: JAMES Server Nightly Build Report)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> We've talked about having a JAMES zone for testing.  Of course, you were
> against it the last time, apparently for the sole reason that I suggested
> it.

I love markmail:
http://markmail.org/message/ovr6engrmoqegdnh

It was 2008, May the 2nd, and you was proposing creating a JAMES zone to
deploy james and start a real world testbed....

Here are some of my replies: what part of
=========================
+1

What domain can we host for the tests? If we don't make this test
installation the default MX for some domain and we don't use some email
address in public messages I don't expect botnets to hit us so fast. Any
ideas?

Stefano
==========================
...or...
==========================
I could provide some second level domains (james-testing.bago.org /
james-testing.void.it ).
=========================
...or...
===========================
Are we going to test file/db or dbfile repositories? Do we plan to use
the standard configuration or an "as complex as possible" configuration?

RemoteDelivery test issue (Was: Server's test failure and CI)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> think this failing test has just been getting everyone down :-/
>>>
>>> it's been particularly irratating (it now fails about 60% of the time
>>> for) and difficult to diagnose. it seems to be some sort of
>>> serialization race condition but it's beyond me. don't know if you
>>> have any ideas.
>> If we agree this probably is an issue in JVM/classpath but we don't have
>> time dealing with SUN for this IMHO we can even add a comment to that test..
>> e.g: catch the assert failure and add a comment about this whole thing.
>
> if this is a JVM issue then couldn't we just narrow down the known bad versions?
>
> - robert

I think we saw it on every platform running very often the tests.

Even if it only happened once in my environment it did. I also saw it on
hudson, and you saw it.

AFAIKT it could even be a non fixed issue existing in every Sun jvm.
Trying IBM/BEA/ASF JVM could give some more answers (I don't know what
we can conclude if they don't give the issue, only what we can guess if
they give the same issue).

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 21:34, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>
>> The current process is a simple nighly build [that] is good
>> for the nighlies, but I think I don't have to explain the
>> difference between a real CI environment and a nighly build script.
>
> That is correct.  We have a CI at the ASF.  The nightly wasn't intended to
> replace it.  However ...
>
>> The specific issue I was recording in this message was the inability to
>> know what exact test failed (we have only summaries for each test class).
>
> The entire build log is posted to the build site.  It seems to me that if
> you want more detail, just enhance the build.  The nightly process is just a
> shell script that runs the build, generates the e-mail summary, and uploads
> the build artifacts with full log.
>
> Is there something you want that can't be done via the above?
>
>> > Ubuntu 7.10.
>
>> JVM used? (IIRC it didn't find the Java 1.4 issues, so I thought it was
>> 1.5, but if you tell us the specific version it will be helpful)
>> JVM parameters used by ant.
>
> I don't recall if it is Java 5 or 6, and freakishly, I don't have access to
> it right now.  I need to fix the SSH connection back through my firewall
> when I get home.  Right now it is on autopilot.
>
>> > We've talked about having a JAMES zone for testing.  Of course, you were
>> > against it the last time, apparently for the sole reason that I
> suggested
>> > it.
>
>> I've never been against this. You may have misunderstood me.
>
> LOL Actually, you're right -- I went back and cbecked.  It is always you who
> disagrees, but in this case it was BERND!  LOL  OK, I apologize.  :-)

I supported this, too. I volontered to aquire, admin and donate a domain for it.
But the proposal never kicked off, so I didn't do it. Should I do so, now?

  Bernd

Re: Server's test failure and CI (Was: JAMES Server Nightly Build Report)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>
>> The current process is a simple nighly build [that] is good
>> for the nighlies, but I think I don't have to explain the
>> difference between a real CI environment and a nighly build script.
>
> That is correct.  We have a CI at the ASF.  The nightly wasn't intended to
> replace it.  However ...

Cool! I'm very happy with Hudson :-) We have an issue because it rarely
stuck during an Hadoop+jSPF build (weird) and I'm working with the zone
mantainers to fix this.

>> The specific issue I was recording in this message was the inability to
>> know what exact test failed (we have only summaries for each test class).
>
> The entire build log is posted to the build site.  It seems to me that if
> you want more detail, just enhance the build.  The nightly process is just a
> shell script that runs the build, generates the e-mail summary, and uploads
> the build artifacts with full log.

> Is there something you want that can't be done via the above?

I know. But the exact test was not in the log. The ant build does not
give that output. I see it instead in the maven build.
I don't want to deal with improving the ant build now, but I set up both
ant and maven builds on hudson and I've been able to debug the issue.

Also I found it unvaluable to be able to run a "kill -3 <buildpid>" on
the hudson zone to get the stackdump in recent debug for JSPF-65.
I think we have all I need now, thank you for your collaboration!

>>> Ubuntu 7.10.
>
>> JVM used? (IIRC it didn't find the Java 1.4 issues, so I thought it was
>> 1.5, but if you tell us the specific version it will be helpful)
>> JVM parameters used by ant.
>
> I don't recall if it is Java 5 or 6, and freakishly, I don't have access to
> it right now.  I need to fix the SSH connection back through my firewall
> when I get home.  Right now it is on autopilot.

On hudson we now hava a java 1.4 ant build and a java 5 maven build: a
little diversification should help. If you are on java 6 this would
complete the range.

>>> We've talked about having a JAMES zone for testing.  Of course, you were
>>> against it the last time, apparently for the sole reason that I
> suggested
>>> it.
>
>> I've never been against this. You may have misunderstood me.
>
> LOL Actually, you're right -- I went back and cbecked.  It is always you who
> disagrees, but in this case it was BERND!  LOL  OK, I apologize.  :-)
>
> 	--- Noel

;-) It seems we have an agreement then...

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
>> the current Nightly Build stuff is under control of Noel
>> and we have no way to tune or make better investigations
>> there.
>
> Yes, and I am happy to provide that service to the greater JAMES community.
> Was there a Thank You in there somewhere, or just your usual complaining
> behavior?

Not a complaint, Noel! It was a statement about "limits" of the current
process. The current process is a simple nighly build kindly managed by
you. Thank you for that, it is good for the nighlies, but I think I
don't have to explain the difference between a real CI environment and a
nighly build script.

The specific issue I was recording in this message was the inability to
know what exact test failed (we have only summaries for each test class).

>> We don't even know what is the platform running the build)
>
> Ubuntu 7.10.  What else would you like to know, since you've never asked?

JVM used? (IIRC it didn't find the Java 1.4 issues, so I thought it was
1.5, but if you tell us the specific version it will be helpful)
JVM parameters used by ant.

> We've talked about having a JAMES zone for testing.  Of course, you were
> against it the last time, apparently for the sole reason that I suggested
> it.

I've never been against this. You may have misunderstood me.
We was talking about a different thing, anyway, not a CI. If you have a
message proving that I was AGAINST it please give me an url because I
may need a medical check (you know I have memory issues).

I would also like to have a second continuous build based on m2
descriptors so that we know when they are broke.

Thank you for the nighly build but please make sure this was a proposal
about asking for a CI tool (hudson / continuum, as we had another thread
where I explained why the current gump does not work for my needs) in
the ASF infrastructure (before I did set up a new personal environment,
as I had to do in the past years to satisfy my CI feticism ;-) ).

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.