Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by vi...@daimler.com on 2012/09/28 18:47:01 UTC

Tomcat 6 serious issues on AIX 5.3

We ran our web app on Tomcat 4 on an AIX 5.3  box Java 5_64 with no issues
for 2 years.

We recently upgraded to Tomcat 6 and we are seeing some unusual problems.

1) After working for 2-3 days with heavy load One of our functions errors
with
        java.sql.SQLException: java.io.IOException:
java.net.SocketException:
        There is no process to read data written to a pipe.
2) Jsp classes that were working properly start throwing Exceptions like
ClassCastException

Resolution is only by clearing cache and re-starting.

We are thinking maybe the OS needs and upgrade and we need to be on Java
1.6

Would appreciate if anyone else had similar experience - what was
resolution.

Vincent

If you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for your cooperation.

RE: Tomcat 6 serious issues on AIX 5.3

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: vincent.soosai@daimler.com [mailto:vincent.soosai@daimler.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 6 serious issues on AIX 5.3

> On machines with higher memory Tomcat does not crash but as I indicated we
> get SocketException:
> [2012-09-25 12:13:35,700] ERROR com.*Action - System Error
> java.sql.SQLException: java.io.IOException: java.net.SocketException:
> There is no process to read data written to a pipe.
>         at com.ashna.jturbo.driver.x.e(x.java)

Which means Tomcat isn't in the game.  It appears the database server on the other end of the pipe has gotten bored and decided to stop listening.  You should consult the documentation for the jturbo driver to see if can be configured to be more resilient.  You may be able to configure Tomcat's DB connection pool to recover from this situation, assuming the DB server is still alive.  Post your DBCP configuration and let's see what can be done with it.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat 6 serious issues on AIX 5.3

Posted by vi...@daimler.com.
Chris,

I do understand the lack of information like stack trace etc and that is
precisely my problem.  In my past experience a version incompatibility
could cause severe headaches and the symtoms don't point to much.

Some more details about our env:

For the upgrade, the server.xml was re-created based on the template
provided.
Please note that the migration was first fully tested and them deployed to
production.
Moreover the app runs for 2-3 days with no errors and under heavy load. It
is then that the errors start showing up.  There is no consistency which
makes debugging most difficult.  I am thinking that the problem is
happening with the JVM interaction with the OS that is why I want to make
sure that we are current with the OS and the Java - change to 1.6.
The Catalina dir under /work is always deleted before re-start.

This may help - we have several servers with different memory and on
machines with lower memory we've experienced crashes.  We are trying to
capture the core files (we have an incomplete core file because of file
space constraints but have increased it now).
On machines with higher memory Tomcat does not crash but as I indicated we
get SocketException:
[2012-09-25 12:13:35,700] ERROR com.*Action - System Error
java.sql.SQLException: java.io.IOException: java.net.SocketException:
There is no process to read data written to a pipe.
        at com.ashna.jturbo.driver.x.e(x.java)
        at com.ashna.jturbo.driver.x.a(x.java)
        at com.ashna.jturbo.driver.y.execute(y.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.execute(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:172)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.execute(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:172)

chris@christopherschultz.net
09/28/2012 10:21 AM
Please respond to
users@tomcat.apache.org

users@tomcat.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Tomcat 6 serious issues on AIX 5.3

Vincent,

On 9/28/12 12:47 PM, vincent.soosai@daimler.com wrote:
> We ran our web app on Tomcat 4 on an AIX 5.3  box Java 5_64 with no
> issues for 2 years.

Great.

> We recently upgraded to Tomcat 6 and we are seeing some unusual
> problems.

How did you upgrade? Please be very specific: lots of people think
they can just re-use their existing configuration (e.g. server.xml)
from prior Tomcat versions and things will just work. They won't.

> 1) After working for 2-3 days with heavy load One of our functions
> errors with java.sql.SQLException: java.io.IOException:
> java.net.SocketException: There is no process to read data written
> to a pipe.

Full stack trace?

> 2) Jsp classes that were working properly start throwing Exceptions
> like ClassCastException

Again, full stack trace?

Do you precompile JSPs? Did you clean-out Tomcat's 'work' directory
after the upgrade and before you restarted Tomcat?

> Resolution is only by clearing cache and re-starting.

What cache are you clearing?

> We are thinking maybe the OS needs and upgrade and we need to be on
> Java 1.6

Well, Tomcat 6 only requires Java 1.5, but Oracle no longer supports
Java 1.5 so it's probably time to move up. What versions of everything
are you running?

> Would appreciate if anyone else had similar experience - what was
> resolution.

You haven't really described your situation other than "things
sometimes break". If you give more information, we might be able to
give you better feedback.

- -chris

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Vincent,

On 9/28/12 12:47 PM, vincent.soosai@daimler.com wrote:
> We ran our web app on Tomcat 4 on an AIX 5.3  box Java 5_64 with no
> issues for 2 years.

Great.

> We recently upgraded to Tomcat 6 and we are seeing some unusual
> problems.

How did you upgrade? Please be very specific: lots of people think
they can just re-use their existing configuration (e.g. server.xml)
from prior Tomcat versions and things will just work. They won't.

> 1) After working for 2-3 days with heavy load One of our functions
> errors with java.sql.SQLException: java.io.IOException:
> java.net.SocketException: There is no process to read data written
> to a pipe.

Full stack trace?