Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Steve Ebersole <st...@hibernate.org> on 2007/09/21 19:13:33 UTC

0.93/0.94 and tables

I have some DocBook sources I have been rendering via fop-0.20.5.  On attempts
to upgrade to either 0.93 or 0.94, however, some of my tables render "goofy".
In particular, two phenomena I have noted:

1) Tables that span a page break.  These get rendered "off page".

2) Quite a few of the tables are of the term/definition variety.  Some of them
reference java class names (FQN), and as such represent long, unbroken text.
In a lot of cases, that causes horizontal "bleeding" of the left/right cells.

Is there perhaps some settings introduced after 0.20.5 I am missing that might
cause this behavior?

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Oct 3, 2007, at 21:53, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> <snip />
> I know you are not trying to, but at some point you switched to
> speaking a
> language I do not understand ;)
>
> But I did a search.

Good thinking. :-)

>   Is something this what you mean?
> http://sourceware.org/ml/docbook-apps/2004-q1/msg00232.html

Indeed. That should work fine here.

Cheers

Andreas

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Steve Ebersole <st...@gmail.com>.
On Wednesday 03 October 2007 02:47:04 pm Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2007, at 03:53, Steve Ebersole wrote:
>
>    [Me:]
>
> >> Well, in the meantime, I did end up copy/pasting the entire
> >> configuration.xml into the location of the xi:include node, fiddled
> >> some more, and I see the problem now. Starting from Table 1.3 onward,
> >> correct?
> >
> > Correct
>
> OK, managed to trim it down. For the interested parties, the FO in
> attach reproduces the issue.
>
> It's caused by the keep-together on the table's containing block.
> Remove that property and the table gets rendered very nicely. Would
> look even slightly better with a keep-together on the rows, I think.

Awesome!  Thank you so much.

I know you are not trying to, but at some point you switched to speaking a
language I do not understand ;)

But I did a search.  Is something this what you mean?
http://sourceware.org/ml/docbook-apps/2004-q1/msg00232.html

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Oct 4, 2007, at 18:46, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

> <snip />
> That, unfortunately, I can't help you with. Maybe there is some
> parameter you can set in Docbook that would take care of this, but
> my experience with Docbook is rather limited, so I wouldn't know if
> there is such a parameter and what it's called...
>
> Your options:
> a) Wait for some Docbook-user or -guru to chime in here (may take a
> long time)
> b) Forward the question to docbook-apps@oasis (much more probable
> that someone will be able to help you out there)

This just occurred to me after posting the above:
Doesn't Docbook have stylesheets that are tailored for use with FOP
(and an accompanying parameter to indicate that these stylesheets
should be used)? If so, then it could be that this is the preferred
solution. I seem to remember from last night that the generated FO
contained a lot of references to RX and AntennaHouse's extension
namespace, so maybe...?
Long shot, though; as I said: limited experience with Docbook, over
here =(

Cheers

Andreas

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

Hi Steve

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Steve Ebersole <st...@hibernate.org>.

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Steve Ebersole <st...@gmail.com>.
> Well, in the meantime, I did end up copy/pasting the entire
> configuration.xml into the location of the xi:include node, fiddled
> some more, and I see the problem now. Starting from Table 1.3 onward,
> correct?
Correct

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Oct 2, 2007, at 21:26, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> <snip />
> The other issue is a problem I believe.  There is only one
> XInclude, which is
> needed as it is what contains all the table definitions.  I assume
> it is a
> problem resolving the needed chapter on your system.  Not sure why
> though.
> This should be a relative resolution.

Aha, relative paths. Should've thought of that...

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Steve Ebersole <st...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday 02 October 2007 01:37:27 pm Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2007, at 19:31, Steve Ebersole wrote:
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> > Attached is the simplified docbook and xslt.
> >
> > Thanks for taking a look.
>
> No problem, although...
>
> I've tried to run the XSLT-step separately, and received a couple of
> warnings/errors, like:
>
> WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Making portrait
> pages on A4 paper (210mmx297mm)
> Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
> WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: ERROR: xref
> linking to tutorial has no generated link text.
> Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
> WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Error: no ID for
> constraint linkend: tutorial.
> Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
> WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: XLink to
> nonexistent id: tutorial
> Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
> WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: ERROR: xref
> linking to architecture has no generated link text.
> Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
> WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Error: no ID for
> constraint linkend: architecture.
> Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
> WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: XLink to
> nonexistent id: architecture
> Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
> WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: xi:include
> encountered in book, but no template matches.
>
> Could this be a consequence of the simplification?
The xlink warnings are (I assume) the link references in the master.xml; they
reference linkends no longer in the document because I stripped out the
needed XIncludes.

The other issue is a problem I believe.  There is only one XInclude, which is
needed as it is what contains all the table definitions.  I assume it is a
problem resolving the needed chapter on your system.  Not sure why though.
This should be a relative resolution.

> Regardless of these errors, I end up with a valid FO document, but
> running this through FOP afterwards, gives me an error:
>
> java.lang.IllegalStateException:
> Flow 'xsl-region-body' does not map to the region-body in page-master
> 'blank'.  FOP presently does not support this.
I would have to assume that this is caused by the issue with the XInclude.

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Oct 2, 2007, at 20:37, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

<snip />

Forgot to add: the driving stylesheet used was pdf/main-pdf.xsl.

Using common/basic.xsl did produce the XML header, but no root node
(= a plain-text file).

Cheers

Andreas

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Oct 2, 2007, at 19:31, Steve Ebersole wrote:

Hi Steve,

> Attached is the simplified docbook and xslt.
>
> Thanks for taking a look.

No problem, although...

I've tried to run the XSLT-step separately, and received a couple of
warnings/errors, like:

WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Making portrait
pages on A4 paper (210mmx297mm)
Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: ERROR: xref
linking to tutorial has no generated link text.
Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Error: no ID for
constraint linkend: tutorial.
Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: XLink to
nonexistent id: tutorial
Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: ERROR: xref
linking to architecture has no generated link text.
Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Error: no ID for
constraint linkend: architecture.
Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: XLink to
nonexistent id: architecture
Oct 2, 2007 7:59:18 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler warning
WARNING: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: xi:include
encountered in book, but no template matches.

Could this be a consequence of the simplification?

Regardless of these errors, I end up with a valid FO document, but
running this through FOP afterwards, gives me an error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException:
Flow 'xsl-region-body' does not map to the region-body in page-master
'blank'.  FOP presently does not support this.

Seems I can't really reproduce your problem in this way. :/

Anyone?

Cheers

Andreas

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Steve Ebersole <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Steve Ebersole <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Steve Ebersole <st...@hibernate.org>.
On Monday 24 September 2007 02:05:02 am Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Steve Ebersole a écrit :
> > I have some DocBook sources I have been rendering via fop-0.20.5.  On
> > attempts to upgrade to either 0.93 or 0.94,
>
> Very good idea! ;-)
>
> > however, some of my tables render "goofy".  In particular, two
> >phenomena I have noted:
> >
> > 1) Tables that span a page break.  These get rendered "off page".
>
> Can you please provide a small FO sample showing the problem? Not the
> source DocBook file (or, at least, not only), but the result of the XSLT
> transformation.
I do not write an intermediate FO file.  But I can get you a slimmed source
and XSLT.  Will that suffice?

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Steve Ebersole <st...@gmail.com>.
On Monday 24 September 2007 02:05:02 am Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Steve Ebersole a écrit :
> > I have some DocBook sources I have been rendering via fop-0.20.5.  On
> > attempts to upgrade to either 0.93 or 0.94,
>
> Very good idea! ;-)
>
> > however, some of my tables render "goofy".  In particular, two
> >phenomena I have noted:
> >
> > 1) Tables that span a page break.  These get rendered "off page".
>
> Can you please provide a small FO sample showing the problem? Not the
> source DocBook file (or, at least, not only), but the result of the XSLT
> transformation.
I do not write an intermediate FO file.  But I can get you a slimmed source
and XSLT.  Will that suffice?

> > 2) Quite a few of the tables are of the term/definition variety.  Some of
> > them reference java class names (FQN), and as such represent long,
> > unbroken text. In a lot of cases, that causes horizontal "bleeding" of
> > the left/right cells.
>
> If you want to keep your class names unbroken, then I’m afraid you’re
> stuck. Otherwise you may add zero-width spaces (u+200B) after the dots
> or soft hyphens (u+00AD) inside class/package names to have your class
> name broken over several lines.
I'll just introduce a convention to shorten the 'domain portion' of the
package name (i.e. org.hibernate.dialect.HSQLDialect ->
o.h.dialect.HSQLDialect).  That should cover the majority of the cases.

Re: 0.93/0.94 and tables

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi Steve,