Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by LAMBERT Thomas <th...@thalesgroup.com> on 2012/06/22 15:09:03 UTC

add a ssh button to the VM tab

Hi

i would like to add a button in the VM tab, to open a SSH console into the selected VM. I don't really know where to begin, could someone give me a hint  or advice about this?
Thanks, have a nice weekend!

Regards,
Thomas

Re: add a ssh button to the VM tab

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
On Jun 22, 2012, at 9:29 AM, David Nalley wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 06/22/2012 03:09 PM, LAMBERT Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> i would like to add a button in the VM tab, to open a SSH console into the
>>> selected VM. I don't really know where to begin, could someone give me a
>>> hint  or advice about this?
>>

>> Would you like to open a in-browser SSH console? That would be kind of hard.
>>
>> You could build this into the UI and place a link like:
>> "ssh://<ip-of-instance>"
>>
>> But you would have to register the handle "ssh://" to a binary which then
>> gets executed on the client, but that's out of your scope.
>>
>> Wido
>>

>>> Thanks, have a nice weekend!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Thomas
>>>

> Not to mention - what if you don't have a route to the VM's network -
> and I am not sure there is a deterministic way for the management
> server to know if the client can connect to the VM - and even if it
> did - what interface would you push it to (think multi-nics, guest vs.
> public network, etc...)

This seems like the type of thing that would benefit from a plugin framework - if there was a hook for the instance detail tab (or maybe a tab hook) where people could add in custom bits like ssh buttons, more detailed status information, usage graphs…

That would provide a solution to this type of thing, and also we could have a "plugin gallery" or similar on the site where people could share their plugins that might be useful to others…

John

Re: add a ssh button to the VM tab

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 06/22/2012 03:09 PM, LAMBERT Thomas wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> i would like to add a button in the VM tab, to open a SSH console into the
>> selected VM. I don't really know where to begin, could someone give me a
>> hint  or advice about this?
>

> Would you like to open a in-browser SSH console? That would be kind of hard.
>
> You could build this into the UI and place a link like:
> "ssh://<ip-of-instance>"
>
> But you would have to register the handle "ssh://" to a binary which then
> gets executed on the client, but that's out of your scope.
>
> Wido
>

>> Thanks, have a nice weekend!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Thomas

Not to mention - what if you don't have a route to the VM's network -
and I am not sure there is a deterministic way for the management
server to know if the client can connect to the VM - and even if it
did - what interface would you push it to (think multi-nics, guest vs.
public network, etc...)

--David

Re: add a ssh button to the VM tab

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
Hi,

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.
Thomas,
To add SSH viewer, a few things need to keep in mind

1) CloudStack UI is purely running inside a browser, browser sandbox would prevent it from launching external applications
2) CloudStack UI may also be running across multiple platforms (Windows, linux, Mac OS), each platform has its own terminal applications
3) The selected VM may not have public accessible IP, and for certain guest OS, there is no default SSH service daemon.

>From above #1 and #2 points, it points to that you will need to develop a AJAX based SSH viewer(as there is no universal external SSH tool you can use externally), for #3, a more comprehensive solution needs to be in place at server side to make the experience smooth.

Kelven