Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Shing Hing Man <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2012/09/29 21:06:15 UTC

Pseudo distributed mode : How to increase no of concurrent map task

Hi,
I am running Hadoop 1.03 in Pseudo  distributed mode, on a quad core Xeon processor with
hyper-threading enabled.
When I  submit a job to process a file of  size about 1.6 GB,  only two concurrent map tasks
are running.
I have set
mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum to 6.
In job.xml,
mapred.map.tasks =25
mapred.min.split.size =0
dfs.block.size = 64MB
How to increase the the number of concurrent map task ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance !

Shing

Re: Pseudo distributed mode : How to increase no of concurrent map task

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Jay,

The right answer would be: Do not use config strings, use API points
available for each config tweak allowed at the client/job level.
However, things may not be complete here and there may be advanced
level of tuning that we didn't want to provide/support an API for. So…
yeah.

With 2.x+, which renamed much of config files for consistency,
hopefully, you can rely on names. If a config name goes
<project>.<daemonname>.configname, such as "yarn.nodemanager.foo",
then it is daemon-specific. Otherwise, client overridable in one way
or the other. A certain level of this hint can be applied to
1.x/0.20.x as well, but there are certain property names that flout
that standard format from the past.

--
Harsh J

Re: Pseudo distributed mode : How to increase no of concurrent map task

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Jay,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Jay,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Jay,

Posted by Shing Hing Man <ma...@yahoo.com>.
I did restart TaskTracker after  setting
mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum.

But I have been  using Configuration.setInt("mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum",6).

When I set mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum to 6 in

mapred-site.xml, I see 6 concurrent map tasks running.

That  solves my problem !

Thanks!

Shing

Did you restart your TaskTrackers after increasing the
mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum value in mapred-site.xml? It is a
TaskTracker property, not a per-job one.

--
Harsh J

Re: Pseudo distributed mode : How to increase no of concurrent map task

--
Harsh J

Re: Pseudo distributed mode : How to increase no of concurrent map task

--
Harsh J

Re: Pseudo distributed mode : How to increase no of concurrent map task

--
Harsh J

Re: Pseudo distributed mode : How to increase no of concurrent map task

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Pseudo distributed mode : How to increase no of concurrent map task

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Pseudo distributed mode : How to increase no of concurrent map task

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Pseudo distributed mode : How to increase no of concurrent map task

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J