Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Mark Brown <mb...@OpenMarket.com> on 1996/09/05 16:35:34 UTC

Re: NCSA httpd

    > [...]
    > * Built-in FastCGI support. This would be trivial; just grab mod_fastcgi,
    >   and add it to the distribution (they even include a mod_fastcgi.html
    >   in just the right format to add to our docs. Nice of 'em). Their
    >   license even lets us do it without asking them first (though it
    >   would probably be polite to). This might be a good idea (or not; the
    >   thing's 97k, even larger than mod_rewrite and mod_proxy), FastCGI
    >   seems pretty nice and well-designed (even if half of their web site is
    >   an ad for their web server). Does anyone have any experience with
    >   it?

    Hmmm... the current mod_fastcgi.c v1.2 works with the Apache API
    of 1.1 because I ported it to this a few months ago and send back
    the diffs to the author. The code seems ok, yes, but I'm not sure
    how bullet-proof this module really is. Before inclusion one
    should check the current version under runtime and also check
    again the current implementation. If both are ok, then it should
    be included as another optional module.

There's a newer version, 1.3, now available from

    http://www.fastcgi.com/servers/apache/1.3/apache-fastcgi.tar.Z

This version fixes all of the reported bugs in version 1.2, and
improves the documentation.  With Apache 1.1.1 it passes a fairly
comprehensive test suite (over 100 separate test cases, including
clients that close early and applications that crash.)  I haven't
tried it with 1.2; I don't know how to get my hands on 1.2.

I'd be pleased for mod_fastcgi to be included as an optional
module, so let me know what I can do to help this along.

    --mark