Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Kevin Fox <Ke...@pnl.gov> on 2010/12/29 00:29:20 UTC

Re: What is the fastest way to get a large amount of data into the Hadoop HDFS file system (or Hbase)?

As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, a map/reduce job
has an instance of a FileSystem object on either side. One that the data
is read out of on the map side, and one the data is fed into on the
reduce side.

Can't you run the map reduce job on the storage cluster that stores the
archival data, feeding the map side with
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/fs/RawLocalFileSystem.html
from the mounted, posix parallel file system,
and feed it into the hadoop cluster on the reduce side. That would mean,
the network in the middle would only see the reduced data set cross the
wire and you could parallelize the data reduction as close to the
archive as possible.

Thanks,
Kevin