Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Ian Dykes <ia...@esendex.com> on 2007/10/22 12:18:53 UTC

Application to view output from a RollingFileAppender

Hi all,

Does anyone know of an application that is capable of loading a log file
that has been written to using the RollingFileAppender?  I know there's
the Log4Net Viewer and Chainsaw, but I think these applications just
listen to UDP packets, and I need to examine historical logs in files.

I need a viewer that can display log entries in date order and grouped
by thread ideally.  Does anyone know of an application that can do this?

Thanks
Ian

Ian Dykes
Software Developer
Esendex Ltd

T: +44 (0)115 852 5762
F: +44 (0)115 852 5757
Email: ian.dykes@esendex.com
Web: www.esendex.com
Blog: http://devproj20.blogspot.com/

Esendex: Connect and Communicate

Confidentiality: This e-mail (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of log4net-user@logging.apache.org and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not log4net-user@logging.apache.org you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and then delete it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored. The views expressed in this message are those of the author Ian Dykes and do not necessarily represent the views of Esendex Ltd.

Security: This e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free from any virus but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure this is so. E-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. We recommend you observe this when e-mailing us.

Esendex Ltd is a limited company registered in the UK, with company number 04217280 and having its registered office at 32a Stoney Street . Nottingham . NG1 1LL . United Kingdom.

[v1.1 EN]

AW: Application to view output from a RollingFileAppender

Posted by "Proeller, Ulrich" <up...@prosa-gmbh.de>.
Hello Ian,

the current version of Log4View can only parse XML formatted messages.
I am thinking about adding a pattern layout parser in the next version, but I'm not sure, if it will parse all kind of patterns flawlessly. There are a lot of conceivable patterns that lead to quite ambiguous log messages where you need a lot of artificial intelligence to infer the meaning of the different parts of a message.

Kind regards

Uli

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Ulrich Proeller
prosa GmbH

Hartwaldstraße 27
86415 Mering
Fon: +49 (8233) 30510
Fax: +49 (8233) 30502
Mobile: +49 (171) 7190650
Web: www.prosa-gmbh.de <https://212.227.126.10/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.prosa-gmbh.de>
EMail: up@prosa-gmbh.de

prosa Gesellschaft für System und Anwendungsentwicklung mbH
GF: Ulrich Proeller, Ulrike Proeller
AG Augsburg, HRB 17165
Ust.-Id. Nr: DE202375536

________________________________

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.
LogFilePatternReceiver can preserve all lines of a -message- field which
contains newlines, but doesn't support newline as a delimiter in parsing
a single log entry.

If you were to convert your %n's (except at the end of each entry) to
dashes or something else, you could use something like:

TIMESTAMP - LEVEL - NDC - THREAD - LOGGER - PROP(LOCATION) - MESSAGE

I used PROP(LOCATION) above to cause the location field to be written as
a custom 'property' in the Chainsaw UI (represented as a new column),
since I'm not sure what format is rendered by the %l conversion pattern.

If the format of 'location' looked like this:

myfilename:mymethod(somelinenumber)

You could substitute PROP(LOCATION) for something like:

FILE:METHOD(LINE)

Hope this helps -

Scott

Posted by Ian Dykes <ia...@esendex.com>.