Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net> on 2004/02/18 01:08:49 UTC

Re: bug in commons email (MIME related)

Hi,

Well I needed a break from writing requirements and I use commons-email,
so I thought I'd chip in here.

This String is used to set the Content-ID header, which is specified in
RFC 2392.  (I love rfc-editor.org).

content-id = url-addr-spec
<snip/>
url-addr-spec = addr-spec ; URL encoding of RFC 822 addr-spec
cid-url = "cid" ":" content-id

Well, I discovered that RFC 2822 (a proposed standard) obsoletes RFC822,
but in my 5 minutes of reading they seemed to agree on what an addr-spec
is: "addr-spec = local-part "@" domain ; global address".  That's the
one from 822, 2822 gets more complex with the local-part and the domain.

Anyway, it seems Just Plain Wrong to shove random characters in there,
right?  The examples in RFC2387 seem to be appending an @domain.com to
the Content-ID's anyway.  If I missed something obvious, my apologies.
Today was the first time I looked at these RFCs.

I remember Noel and some others discussing a possible MIME library on
this list recently; perhaps they have some input?

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks