Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ulrich Böck <bo...@bsoftware.de> on 2000/11/07 23:43:26 UTC

still: problem with modperl as module

>> i have the modperl in /root/.cpan/build/mod_perl-1.2.24

> Funny place to put it.

that's right :)
but i must confess, i didn't find the "right" place yet...
i changed that to /tools/CPAN/build/mod_perl-1.2.24

> Is that where you have Apache too?  More
> commonly things are in /usr/src/ or /usr/local/.  I had some problems
> with 'make test' a while ago when the directories were laid out in an
> unusual way.

ok, apache is under /tools/apache_1.3.14,
installation is in /usr/local/httpd

>> perl Makefile.PL USE_APXS=1 WITH_APXS=/sbin/apxs EVERYTHING=1

> Have you tried it without APXS?

yes, but then i cannot do anything, because with
perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=/tools/apache_1.3.14/src DO_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=1 PREP_HTTPD=1 EVERYTHING=1

i get the ugly message:

************* WARNING *************

  Apache Version 1.3.0 required, aborting...

************* WARNING *************

>> 1. the "make install" installs the library in /usr/lib/apache
>> and i dont know where i can do that in my
>> /usr/local/httpd/libexec,

> Don't understand what you're saying.  You can move the library if you > like.

that's right, but we have so many options what to do and where to do put it... where can i say "go to MY libdir" ?

>> 2. the "make install" tries to update the (wrong)
>> /etc/httpd/httpd.conf

> 'make install' doesn't update an existing httpd.conf as far as I know.
> If you have junk config files lying around get rid of them, things are
> confusing enough as it is.

hmm, make install told me:
[activating module 'perl' in /etc/httpd/httpd.conf]

just another configuration thing...
i just wanted to do anything with apache in /usr/local/httpd, so my httpd.conf resides in /usr/local/httpd/conf/

perhaps it would be better to have a "straight" way of doing things, but how???

Kindly regards

Ulrich