Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Mike Francis <mi...@paremus.com> on 2006/09/13 09:18:54 UTC

Introducing Open Source Newton Project - Document Driven, Dynamic Component Framework

Apologies for the unsolicited email however I thought that the Felix
community may be interested in our open source project Newton which provides
a dynamic distributed component based framework based on OSGi, SCA and Jini.

Agent based, Document driven and declarative in nature, it offers a simple
approach to managing applications and compute resources across a distributed
environment made up of heterogeneous commodity servers. Offering
capabilities including self-assembling, self-managing, self-scaling and
self-healing Infiniflow is able to simplify the ongoing operation of
distributed systems.

The framework is available in open source as the Newton project at
www.codecauldron.org <http://www.codecauldron.org/>  and under commercial
license as Infiniflow DSF www.paremus.com <http://www.paremus.com/> .

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Mike

Mike Francis

Business Development Manager

UK +44 207 993 8915

US +1 646-202-2920

Fax +44 845 127 5999

Mobile +44 791 933 5933

Email mike.francis@paremus.com

 <http://www.paremus.com> www.paremus.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entity
material from any computer.

Paremus Limited.
107-111 Fleet Street, London EC4A 2AB.  Phone number +44 20 7936 9098

Re: Introducing Open Source Newton Project - Document Driven, Dynamic Component Framework

Posted by BJ Hargrave <ha...@us.ibm.com>.
This looks like the Trolltech model (Qt and Qtopia).

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
hargrave@us.ibm.com
Office: +1 407 849 9117 Mobile: +1 386 848 3788

"Cameron Taggart" <ca...@gmail.com>
09/13/2006 10:21 AM
Please respond to
felix-dev@incubator.apache.org

felix-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Introducing Open Source Newton Project - Document Driven, Dynamic
Component Framework

Jeff, not EPL, nor Apache, but GPL.

"As an open source project within the Paremus-sponsored codeCauldron
community
(www.codeCauldron.org), the Infiniflow DSF will be available through a
dual license model.
Developers evaluating Infiniflow DSF or building new DSF-based
components will be able to use the software under a standard open
source GPL license. Deployment to a production environment will
require a commercial license from Paremus..."
 - http://www.paremus.com/news/pr/pr06-022-dsf.pdf

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 13 September 2006 22:21, Cameron Taggart wrote:
> Deployment to a production environment will
> require a commercial license from Paremus..."

FWIW, that statement is not compatible with the GPL. You are not allowed to
make non-commercial restrictions to the GPL, and as long as I am prepared to
use it under the terms and conditions of the GPL, I can't be forced to use it
in non-commercial or production environments.

So either that statement is an incorrect claim, OR it is not licensed under
GPL.

Nevertheless, the technology is real cool, and wish I had some time to look
more into it...

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Introducing Open Source Newton Project - Document Driven, Dynamic Component Framework

Posted by Cameron Taggart <ca...@gmail.com>.