Posted to users@flex.apache.org by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net> on 2018/05/05 16:35:13 UTC

Make Your Voice Heard Fast Regarding 32-bit Support!!!

I don't know if you guys have heard, but starting with AIR 30 out in beta and
due to be released soon, Adobe has just unexpectedly dropped support for
32-bit apps.  They have only made one short statement claiming it is because
MacOS is no longer going to accept 32-bit apps, but this is a horrible idea
for mobile development.  This will exclude iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, and
iPad Mini.  If you have any existing 32-bit mobile apps in the app store,
you will no longer be able to update them.  You will have to make a decision
to either stick with AIR 29 and never advance from there if you want to
support 32-bit customers, or you will have to choose to deliver in AIR 30 or
above but be unable to serve 30% of the mobile market who still use 32-bit
apps.  That is a LOT of customers to give up on! Heck, I still use a iPad
3!!!

All because of MacOS.

Please go to this Adobe Forum thread and voice your concerns.  SURELY there
has got to be a way where they could give us a choice on how to deliver
apps, that we as developers can be trusted to know what type of packaging we
need to serve our own customers.  I believe that they can make 64-bit the
default, but there has to be a tag that can be added to ADT or something
where you could choose to export as 32-bit, 64-bit, or both in your IPA.

Please let your voice be heard, because this is happening fast!!!

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2486666

Re: Make Your Voice Heard Fast Regarding 32-bit Support!!!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Regarding installing different AIR SDK's with Flex:  In theory, when you run the installer, you can override settings by putting a local.properties file in the destination folder.  The AIR install is looking for properties like:

air.sdk.url.server
air.sdk.url.folder
air.sdk.url.file
air.sdk.url.md5

In theory, if you set these four values to correct values in local.properties it will override what you pick from the UI.  Probably you only need to override the folder and md5 values.  That said, I don't see AIR 29.0.0.112 on the Adobe AIR Archived SDK list.  But if you have it downloaded somewhere already, you can probably set

air.sdk.url.server=file:///Users/myusername
air.sdk.url.folder=path/to/downloaded/archive

HTH,
-Alex

On 5/7/18, 1:29 PM, "Erik J. Thomas" <er...@linqto.com> wrote:

    Or, if you know of a way to install a fresh 4.16.1 + AIR 29.0.0.112 I'm all ears but installer 3.1 allows selecting AIR 29 and it will only install build 122. I need 112 for development.

Re: Make Your Voice Heard Fast Regarding 32-bit Support!!!

Posted by "Erik J. Thomas" <er...@linqto.com>.
Oh, one more thing. Does anyone out there have a FlexSDK folder that contains FlexSDK 4.16.1 and AIR 29.0.0.112? I'd love to grab a copy of your folder (from a Mac) for developing apps. I'm using AIR 27 and it seems fine, but I'd like to be developing on as close a version as what we release on as possible.

Or, if you know of a way to install a fresh 4.16.1 + AIR 29.0.0.112 I'm all ears but installer 3.1 allows selecting AIR 29 and it will only install build 122. I need 112 for development.

BWT, I am NOT interested in manually overlaying AIR 29 over the FlexSDK. I have wasted far too much time trying to make that work in the past.

I just forgot to get 4.16.1 + AIR 29.0.0.112 when it was available from SDK installer 3.1.

If you have a drop box account I'd be most grateful if you could just copy that folder up and share with me: erik@linqto.com

I really do intend to not upgrade AIR for as long as possible, like in 2019 sometime. 29 is fine but for the adhoc issue.

Thanks muchly!

On May 7, 2018, at 1:21 PM, Erik J. Thomas <er...@linqto.com> wrote:

Would just have liked if Adobe gave us more warning. I think it's a bit early to stop supporting iPhone 5, 5c, and iPad 4G, but I can live with it if necessary.

Unlike Adobe's past behavior of making announcements ahead of time for big changes like this one, this one caught us by surprise and for that, I'm a bit disappointed.

But can we adjust to this issue? Sure. We always do. Apple threw us some curveballs lately, like Assets.car, and the non-public API bit, and somehow when the dust settles we're OK. It appears that this issue--like those two--will just make our jobs harder, but I've read posts that appear to prove we can upgrade our existing apps to use 64bit only without a new bundleId so the main impact of this move appears to be only to alienate those still on the fringe devices that are no longer supported. I'm not that worried about it. It's a corner case. Our customers can upgrade.

Of course we plan to get another 6 months out of AIR 29 or more. We don't see any immediate need to upgrade to AIR 30 so we'll get some more time supporting iPhone 5, 5c, and iPad 4G.

But there is another issue.  I'm not happy about having to keep my AIR 27 SDK around for development in my IDE (adhoc deployment to USB dongled device), and then change back to 29 for release. If Adobe would have just fixed their breakage of adhoc deployment by refraining to add beta-reports-active entitlement key then all our IDEs would be able to just work without jumping through hoops with command line scripts to remove the entitlement and re-sign the app every time we try to debug the app.

But we'll survive. This is not the end of the world.

But definitely visit the thread and voice your vote to continue supporting 32/64 bit hybrid apps for another version or three of AIR and let us know exactly when we have to make this change.

Cheers,

On May 7, 2018, at 8:59 AM, bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net> wrote:

I thought I might hear back from more people here because I assumed a lot of
people here played with AIR. If you do, I really invite you to come to the
Adobe forum and voice your opinions. This post was recently made by a guy
named Flipline and it scared the socks off of me. If you have apps on the
App Store and are using AIR, you really need to read this:

"A larger issue is that using AIR 30, we can not even submit updates for ANY
of our apps for ANY devices, whether they have 64-bit iPads or not:  Apple
does not let you make changes to UIRequiredCapabilities for any reason in an
update, even if you change MinimumOSVersion to limit it to iOS 11 it will
still be rejected because UIRequiredCapabilities can not be changed after an
app is launched.  This means we lose support for 100% of our users of
existing apps if we upgrade to AIR 30.  This is a separate issue from 32-bit
devices being unsupported for brand-new apps, and which is even more
worrying for me."

In essence, you won't be able to update ANY current App Store apps that have
been submitted using AIR. They need to hear us in this discussion please.