Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Wil - <wi...@yahoo.com> on 2011/03/01 00:58:39 UTC

Dynamic partition - support for distribute by

Hi,

Reading the wiki on dynamic partition, there is best practice example to solve
the issue of creating too many dynamic partitions on a specific node. However,
the query does not work.
(http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/Tutorial#Dynamic-partition_Insert)

Is this form of query support?

FROM table_a
INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE table_b PARTITION(dt)
SELECT * FROM (
 SELECT *, dt
 DISTRIBUTE BY dt
) T;

Thanks,
--wil

Re: Dynamic partition - support for distribute by

Posted by Wil - <wi...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, the query works as expected. I guess the query on the wiki is out of
date.

Not sure about that, but this is supported:

FROM (SELECT *, dt from table_a DISTRIBUTE BY dt) T

Posted by Thiruvel Thirumoolan <th...@yahoo-inc.com>.