Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Umar Hansa <ad...@umaar.com> on 2011/01/27 02:58:53 UTC

Mahout

Hi!

I'm Umar, I was looking into using collaborative filtering for a web
application I'm making for my final project at university.

My application is built using the Ruby on Rails framework and I was
wondering if Mahout can integrate with this?

Here's a sumary of what I want to do:
There are a few thousand items and some users, each user can "rate" an item,
when a user rates an item I would like them to be presented with other items
which other users have rated on and those users should have rated similar
items which the user in question has rated....I hope that makes sense!

My main concern is how I can get Rails which uses an Sqlite database to
interact with Mahout, I've heard a bit about "hadoop", would I need to get
this running to use Mahout?

Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Umar

Re: Mahout

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
All mahout API's are easily accessed via Jruby as well.  Some of the models
are more command line oriented than API driven.  Those can be driven nicely
by invoking processes from rake.

Re: Mahout

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.