Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Debbie Fu <fu...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/03 13:28:07 UTC

large intermediate outputs

Hi,
Is there any possibility that the intermediate output might be too large to
store it in the local disk?
If there is, what does hadoop do to solve the problem?
Thanks.

--
Best regards!

Re: large intermediate outputs

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.
On Jan 3, 2011, at 5:11 AM, Debbie Fu wrote:

> I think it will cause a disk fill-up, too. Is there any mechanism in Hadoop
> that handles this situation?

	Not in a way that saves the job.

> If my local disk stores too much chunk data,
> and spare little space for intermediate output, and all nodes are in this
> situation that we can't schedule the task on another node that could have
> the space for intermediate output, so what does the hadoop do ? Does the job
> simply fail?

	Yes.

> Can I set a remote disk in mapred.local.dir?

	You can point it to an NFS mount, but that'd be suicide.

	Best bet is to break the job up into multiple jobs or reduce the input per task depending upon the situation if using compression as Harsh mentioned is not acceptable.

Re: large intermediate outputs

Posted by Debbie Fu <fu...@gmail.com>.
I think it will cause a disk fill-up, too. Is there any mechanism in Hadoop
that handles this situation? If my local disk stores too much chunk data,
and spare little space for intermediate output, and all nodes are in this
situation that we can't schedule the task on another node that could have
the space for intermediate output, so what does the hadoop do ? Does the job
simply fail? Can I set a remote disk in mapred.local.dir?

--
Best regards!

Yulin Fu
SUN YAT-SEN UNIVERSITY
Mobile:13570409599
QQ:642786040

Re: large intermediate outputs

Posted by Harsh J <qw...@gmail.com>.

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com

Re: large intermediate outputs

Posted by Ravi Gummadi <gr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
The following 2 could solve the issue to some extent. But these 2 are not
automatically done by hadoop. User needs to set things before submitting the
job.
(1) Enabling map output compression using configuration property
mapreduce.map.output.compress.
(2) Use combiner so that possibly less amount of intermediate data will be
emitted by mapper.

-Ravi