Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2009/02/17 20:34:17 UTC

Make "framework" build the entire framework server

I'd like to play around with trying to make gbeans less restrictive
and possibly some classloading ideas.  This would be a lot easier if I
had a smaller project to deal with.  So, I'd like to make it so that
framework is self contained and builds the entire framework server.  I
haven't looked at this too closely recently but I think it involves:

moving all or part of buildsupport into framework (at least car-maven-
plugin)
moving the framework plugingroup into framework
moving the boilerplate and framework assemblies into framework.

I suggested this a few months back (sept 23 2008) and there were some
objections I didn't fully understand.  Right now I'm sure this would
make my day to day development life a lot easier so if there are
objections I'd really appreciate knowing how specifically this would
make your day to day development life harder.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Make "framework" build the entire framework server

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I did the basic reorganization in rev 746112.  We probably want to
change some groupIds if everyone is OK with the change.

On Feb 18, 2009, at 4:46 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2009, at 7:15 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> On Feb 17, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Donald Woods wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds worth the time to try it out.
>>>
>>> Two requests:
>>> 1) If this works, we publish the framework assembly instead of the
>>> two minimal assemblies to the Download page for 2.2, as this would
>>> allow users to build their own custom minimal server assembly (and
>>> of course some docs telling users how to create the old minimal
>>> assembly from this new framework assembly.)
>>
>> I'm neutral or slightly +0.1 on this idea.  I don't actually see
>> how it relates to my proposal but if everyone agrees I'm fine with
>> this idea.
>
> Less = more IMO, so I'm +1

I guess this should be a separate vote...

>>> 2) If time permits, can we move or duplicate relevant testsuite
>>> modules into a new testsuite dir under either the framework dir or
>>> a new framework-testsuite dir, so that we can verify the basic
>>> framework cmdline scripts and installing plugins (like Jetty/
>>> Tomcat to make an equivalent minimal assembly)?
>>
>> I like this idea.  For a few months now when I work on a plugin set
>> (mconsole, activemq) I've included a custom server aseembly in the
>> plugin group and added at least one integration test.  This has
>> really helped speed up feature development.  IIUC you are proposing
>> doing the same for framework.
>
> Sure, +1
I haven't done this yet.  I don't think we have any integration tests
that run on framework yet.  I'll probably come up with some simple
ones soon.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Feb 18, 2009, at 7:15 AM, David Jencks wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Donald Woods wrote:
>
>> Sounds worth the time to try it out.
>>
>> Two requests:
>> 1) If this works, we publish the framework assembly instead of the
>> two minimal assemblies to the Download page for 2.2, as this would
>> allow users to build their own custom minimal server assembly (and
>> of course some docs telling users how to create the old minimal
>> assembly from this new framework assembly.)
>
> I'm neutral or slightly +0.1 on this idea.  I don't actually see how
> it relates to my proposal but if everyone agrees I'm fine with this
> idea.

Less = more IMO, so I'm +1

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.