Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Frédéric Guillaume <gu...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/16 17:35:34 UTC

File size issue when using fop-pdf-images-1.3 plug-in

Hello,
I have been successfully using the fop-pdf-images-1.3 plug-in with fop-0.95.
Basically, I want to insert a PDF within another PDF file.
However I figured out that the final file size was bigger than expected.
An example :
Let say i have a file X.pdf (10ko size; 4 pages)
I want to insert it into another file Y.pdf (3ko).
Each page of X.pdf inserted into Y.pdf will make the final size grow of
10ko.
e.g.
Y + 1 page of X = 13ko
Y + 2 pages of X = 23ko
Y + 3 pages of X = 33ko
Y + full content of X (4 pages) = 43ko instead of 13ko

Is it the normal functionning or an issue ?

Regards.
Frederic GUILLAUME

Re: File size issue when using fop-pdf-images-1.3 plug-in

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
That's a current limitation of the plug-in: it can't share PDF object it
has already copied for a previous page at the moment. This is not a
priority for me currently. And it's not going to be easy to fix I'm
afraid.

On 16.09.2009 17:35:34 Frédéric Guillaume wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been successfully using the fop-pdf-images-1.3 plug-in with fop-0.95.
> Basically, I want to insert a PDF within another PDF file.
> However I figured out that the final file size was bigger than expected.
> An example :
> Let say i have a file X.pdf (10ko size; 4 pages)
> I want to insert it into another file Y.pdf (3ko).
> Each page of X.pdf inserted into Y.pdf will make the final size grow of
> 10ko.
> e.g.
> Y + 1 page of X = 13ko
> Y + 2 pages of X = 23ko
> Y + 3 pages of X = 33ko
> Y + full content of X (4 pages) = 43ko instead of 13ko
>
> Is it the normal functionning or an issue ?
>
> Regards.
> Frederic GUILLAUME

Jeremias Maerki