Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Yung Kwong Wing <yu...@netvigator.com> on 2000/12/30 20:00:28 UTC

do I really need "mod_perl"

Hi,

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but I was wondering do I really need
to install "mod_perl" to get my website to work with CGI.

It seems that after my unsuccessful attempt at installing "mod_perl", I
can use the Perl interpreter just fine and I can use the CGI-bin just fine
also.

I have placed my observations and records in the following URL:
http://home.netvigator.com/~yungp/my_perl.html

If you look at the observations and records under the date "Dec 30, 2000",
you will see the modules that are currently installed and that my CGI
works just fine without "mod_perl"

If anyone can shed the light on this mystery to me, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Re: do I really need "mod_perl"

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Obviously, you know after reading the above link you don't need mod_perl
> run standard perl-written cgi's.  One of the additional benefits not
mentioned
> in that article is Embperl.  Embperl is a nifty little tool that let's you
> embed server side interpreted perl in a normal .html document.  Very handy
> indeed!  In order for Embperl to work, however, mod_perl must be
installed.

Embperl can also run as standart CGI or offline, but under mod_perl it's
much faster

Gerald

E-Mail:     richter@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 925151

Re: do I really need "mod_perl"

Posted by Myrddin <me...@firstmagic.com>.
On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 12:18:00PM -0800, John K Sterling wrote:
> read this: http://take23.org/whatis_mod_perl.xml
>
> it should explain all.
>
> sterling

An excellent link.

> Yung Kwong Wing wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry for asking a stupid question, but I was wondering do I really need
> > to install "mod_perl" to get my website to work with CGI.

[ ... ]

> > If anyone can shed the light on this mystery to me, it would be greatly
> > appreciated.

Obviously, you know after reading the above link you don't need mod_perl to
run standard perl-written cgi's.  One of the additional benefits not mentioned
in that article is Embperl.  Embperl is a nifty little tool that let's you
embed server side interpreted perl in a normal .html document.  Very handy
indeed!  In order for Embperl to work, however, mod_perl must be installed.

Enjoy. :)

- Myrddin
 ICQ: 22404528                   Why Vegan?   http://www.firstmagic.com/vegan

Re: do I really need "mod_perl"

Posted by Yung Kwong Wing <yu...@netvigator.com>.
Wow!  Hey, that really did explain it.  Thanks.

Re: do I really need "mod_perl"

Posted by John K Sterling <st...@covalent.net>.