Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/22 15:22:33 UTC

SSL and Netty 4/OpenSSL news

Hi all BookKeepers,
At the last community meeting JV reported that a Salesforce there is some
work on SSL/TLS, in particular due to better performances using native
OpenSSL + netty 4.

How the work is going ?

Open questions are:

1) status of my current patch on SSL

should I rebase, than get it merged and then continue the work from it
or JV and SF guys will pick up the work entirely ?

2) switch to Netty 4:
Initially we said that the switch to Netty 4 (from Yahoo and now from
Salesforce) could be skipped and done maybe for 4.6.x.

What are your current thoughts ?

-- Enrico

Re: SSL and Netty 4/OpenSSL news

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
I was thinking about Friday too....

Enrico

Posted by Kkasiud1 <kk...@gmail.com>.
I am preparing Netty4 changes as a new PR.

Kishore

Posted by Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <ju...@gmail.com>.

--
Jvrao
---

Posted by Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Sijie,
Most of the upcoming patches from Yahoo will need Netty 4, and at
Salesforce are working on Netty 4 + SSL, so the idea at the last meeting
was to get Netty 4.1 in in 4.5
I think that most of the problem is that you local fork actually is based
on Netty 3, as we recently discussed about the inclusion of the reference
to Netty 3 HashedWheelTimer in one "public" API.

How can we go on ? Merge Twitter/DistributedLog first and than upgrade to
Netty and merge Yahoo work or interleave the changes ?

From my point of view I cannot give any good suggestion because I don't

Posted by Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

On Friday, February 24, 2017, 6:01:10 AM CST, Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:Thank you @Kishore for review the initial SSL patch.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Ok see you tomorrow

--

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: SSL and Netty 4/OpenSSL news

Posted by Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <ju...@gmail.com>.

--
Jvrao
---

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

On Thursday, February 23, 2017, 9:59:00 AM CST, Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:Ss we are going to meet today, Thursday or on Friday?

--

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: SSL and Netty 4/OpenSSL news

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

--

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: SSL and Netty 4/OpenSSL news

Posted by Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <ju...@gmail.com>.

--
Jvrao
---

Posted by Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <ju...@gmail.com>.

--
Jvrao
---

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
It depends on the "host".

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
What is the hangout URL we are going to use?  Last time there was confusion so I was not able to join, and I want to be sure I join the right one this time.

- Bobby

On Thursday, February 23, 2017, 2:06:08 AM CST, Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:Great!

I have drafted the agenda of the next meeting
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BOOKKEEPER/2017-2-24+Meeting+notes

Enrico

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Great!

Posted by Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri <ju...@gmail.com>.

--
Jvrao
---

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
I just filed BOOKKEEPER-1008 for this work.  If others have a different opinion on this feel free to comment here or on the JIRA.  I want to make sure we have the backing of the community on this.

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 9:57:52 AM CST, Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:I'm using Netty 4.1.x for all of my projects and I am very +1 on the switch

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
I really would like to get netty4 in sooner rather then later.  Simply because we have been running with it for quite a while in production so we know it is relatively stable, and it is the basis of a lot of other patches we want to push back.  Meaning we only have a handful of patches to push back before netty4 starts to make things much more difficult if not impossible for other patches.  If we do want to wait until 4.6.x for netty4 then I would propose that we create a 4.5.x branch simply so we can start to move forward with netty4 on master.  I realize that a change this big is going to add more work to others too so I am open to other opinions.

- Bobby

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 9:22:39 AM CST, Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:Hi all BookKeepers,