Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Johan Åbrandt <jo...@profitsoftware.com> on 2002/11/19 13:51:55 UTC

fo:external-graphic problem when using HTTPS - EntityResolver?

Hi,

I have the following external graphic declaration in a XML file:

<fo:external-graphic src="url('{$base-url}/images/logo.jpg')"
height="30pt" width="170pt"/>

I render it to a servlet outputstream using:

Driver driver;
driver = new Driver( new InputSource( reader ), out );
driver.setRenderer( Driver.RENDER_PDF );
driver.run();

This works just fine when having the server configured for HTTP but when
using HTTPS, it fails with error:

Error while creating area : Error with image URL: unknown certificate
and no base directory is specified

I think this is because I am using a own generated certificate and not a
real certificate from f ex Verisign. I know that I can either create my
own SecurityManager (effectively disabling security), or use a real
certificate. I would however like to circumvent all such hazzles and
retrieve the image in some other means instead, intially I tried to use
a custom EntityResolver, but I doesnt seem like it is used for image url
resolution:

i.e.

driver = new Driver( new InputSource( reader ), out );
driver.setRenderer( Driver.RENDER_PDF );

XMLReader xmlReader = XMLReaderFactory.createXMLReader();
xmlReader.setEntityResolver( new CustomEntityResolver() );
driver.setXMLReader( xmlReader );

driver.run();

Does anyone have any tips how to get the EntityResolver approach to
work, or know any other way to achieve something similar.

Best regards - Johan

--
Johan Åbrandt

Technical Project Manager
(Tekninen projektipäällikkö)
Tel. +358 9 6817 3342
Mobile. +358 40 848 8068
johan.abrandt@profitsoftware.com

Profit Software Oy
Meritullinkatu 11 C
00170 Helsinki, Finland

This message and its attachments have been found clean from known viruses
with three different antivirus programs.

Re: fo:external-graphic problem when using HTTPS - EntityResolver?

Posted by Johan Åbrandt <jo...@profitsoftware.com>.
 > As Jeremias pointed out SourceResolver is already in the todo list.

Ok, I it is this one: "Integrate with Jakarta Avalon: logging,
configuration, URI resolver, component management, image caching etc. ?
open "?

Anyhow, thanks for the help, Oleg and Jeremias.

Br - Johan

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Johan Åbrandt wrote:

> Personally I would put a high priority on enabling the programmer to
> override resource resolution (ala EntityResolver) for FOP though.

As Jeremias pointed out SourceResolver is already in the todo list. But when
it would be implemented - nobody knows.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team
Multiconn Technologies, Israel

Re: fo:external-graphic problem when using HTTPS - EntityResolver?

Posted by Johan Åbrandt <jo...@profitsoftware.com>.
Hi Oleg,

Thanks for your answere,

Yeah true, I could do that, but I feel it is a bit overkill. My client
want all trafic over HTTPS, and I cant really ask them to sacrifice that
. The image in itself isnt sensitive, so it could be served over http
anyhow, the not so nice thing is that I would either have to ask them to
allow some HTTP traffic instead of just HTTPS for the server, or ask
them to set up a separate apache just serving an image.

I went with the javax.servlet.context.tempdir solution instead. It
works, and I guess its not that bad a hack after all.

Personally I would put a high priority on enabling the programmer to
override resource resolution (ala EntityResolver) for FOP though. This
is my first encounter with FOP, but I can say for sure that I will need
a way to customize this whenever using FOP. Ideally I would like to be
able to put images used for rendering PDF´s under WEB-INF/. I would also
like to be able to have the images for example under a J2EE security
constraint, and I guess that wouldnt work either, unless FOP
authenticates itself with the server =). Those are just my opinions
though, and I am really not an expert in FOP.

Br - Johan

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.

Posted by Johan Åbrandt <jo...@profitsoftware.com>.
Hi Jeremias,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

Posted by Johan Åbrandt <jo...@profitsoftware.com>.
Hi Jeremias,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

Posted by Johan Åbrandt <jo...@profitsoftware.com>.
Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the answere, and if I controlled the deployment environment I
might do something like what you suggest. In this case I dont want to
suggest anything that means installing additional software. Maintenance
is expensive =). Also, I really prefer to have all resources needed by
one application in one package, splitting it means trouble for
installation and distribution.

BTW, I already came up with a workable solution, writing the image to
temporary storage and giving that as a file url.

Br - Johan

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <rh...@telerama.com>.