Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org> on 2022/05/04 01:03:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-833: Mark KRaft as Production Ready

Hi all,

I've written a KIP for marking KRaft as production ready. Please take a look if you have a chance:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/8xKhD

thanks,
Colin

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-833: Mark KRaft as Production Ready

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrew,

Stretch clusters are possible with the KRaft architecture. For example, if you had a cluster with nodes in us-west-1, us-west-2 and us-central-1, you could put a KRaft controller node in each region. This is similar to how with ZK you'd put a ZK node in each region.

best,
Colin

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi José,

Yes, that matches my understanding.

I added a section on "bridge releases" to the KIP. This section basically reiterates what we discussed in KIP-500, but it's good to have anyway.

best,
Colin

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi Colin,

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.
> Stretch clusters are possible with the KRaft architecture. For example,
if you had a cluster with nodes in us-west-1, us-west-2 and us-central-1,
you could put a KRaft controller node in each region. This is similar to
how with ZK you'd put a ZK node in each region.

Ah ha! TIL about process.roles
<https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/config/kraft/README.md#process-roles>.
Thank you!

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Colin.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Ismael,

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Colin,

Posted by Christo <ch...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Hello Colin,
Thank you for the swift and informative reply! I will have a look at the suggested tickets and pick up one of the free ones.
Best,
Christo
    On Sunday, 19 June 2022, 22:46:41 BST, Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org> wrote:

 Hi Christo NUKK,

We have been trying to label KRaft issues on JIRA with "kip-500". So you should be able to do a search like this for them:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-13912?jql=project%20%3D%20KAFKA%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20kip-500%20AND%20statusCategory%20!%3D%20Done

In JQL terms, that's "project = KAFKA AND labels = kip-500 AND statusCategory != Done"

The dynamic configuration piece is a bit tricky. You might consider starting with something like KAFKA-13650, KAFKA-13774, or KAFKA-13620.

best,
Colin

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Christo NUKK,

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Colin for the update and clarification and the additional details
you added.

I second Igor's thoughts that we should not deprecate ZK before having
feature parity.

However, I think marking KRaft mode as production-ready is something that
can be done independent of the status of feature parity (between ZK-mode
and KRaft-mode).

Maybe we can mark KRaft as production ready for now (in 3.3) then work on
getting to feature parity in 3.4 and once feature parity is attained, then
we deprecate ZK-mode in 3.4 and remove it in the next release after 3.4.

That would be fair from my perspective.

It is a bit hard to ask users to jump off the boat when the dock is still
far away and they are unable to swim that far.

Some of the missing features are still in the critical path for some users
and we should include them in the project before the ZK-mode deprecation or
removal.

These are my initial thoughts about this and I believe users may not feel
supported if the cord is just ripped off with features still missing and
Zookeeper is gone.

That could send a wrong message to the community of current and prospective
users.

Posted by Igor Soarez <i...@soarez.me>.
Hi Colin,

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 3, 2022, at 23:16, Colin McCabe wrote:

> To be clear, the proposal here is to have the bridge release be 3.4 and
> then move on to a ZK-free 4.0. With a 3.5 release as an option (but not
> requirement) if we can't finish everything in time after 3.4. So that
> would be two more releases with ZK, or dropping ZK a little bit less
> than a year from now.

Sigh. This should read "To be clear, the proposal here is to have the bridge release be 3.3 and then move on to a ZK-free 4.0. With a 3.4 release as an option (but not requirement) if we can't finish everything in time after 3.3." So much for being clear, I guess :)

cheers,
Colin

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 3, 2022, at 20:48, Israel Ekpo wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Thanks for this KIP. I am very excited to see the proposal.
>
> A lot in the community have been asking when KRaft mode will be ready and I
> think this KIP will provide a lot of the answers and guidance desperately
> needed.
>
> Thanks for working on it.
>
> I also have some of the questions from Luke regarding the duration of the
> deprecation period and the release where ZK will be completely dropped.
>
> As per our time-based release plan [1], the release should be every 4
> months, but it has been approximately 5 months between releases from the
> downloads page [2]
>
> So, right now we are about to push out 3.2.0 and 3.4.0 is approximately 10
> months from now based on the schedule/plan.

Hi Israel,

Sorry, I meant to write "the next release, 3.3" not "the next release, 3.4." I fixed the KIP text now.

As you noted, 3.3 should be about 4 or 5 months from now.

> I wonder if this will be enough time to complete all the features needed to
> bring KRaft mode to parity with Legacy/Zookeeper mode.
>
> The missing features you have highlighted and any other critical features
> not working in KRaft mode should be implemented fully before marking KRaft
> mode as production ready and deprecating Legacy mode.

As I wrote in "potential objections and responses," I don't think we need full feature parity before marking KRaft mode as production ready. It's customary for Kafka to bring new features to production incrementally.

> The main question here is would we have Kafka versions 3.6.0, 3.7.0, 3.8.0
> and 3.9.0 because this will add approximately 20 additional months after
> 3.4.0 which should be enough time to have ZK-mode deprecated and tested
> thoroughly before removal completely. I feel we should not mark ZK mode as
> deprecated until all the features in KRaft mode are at parity with ZK-mode.
>
> If we are going to have 20 months after 3.4 to work with a deprecated
> ZK-mode, then it could be possible to even drop ZK fully before 4.0
>
> Let's move the boat closer to the dock before we jump out of the boat. It
> will be very stressful if we jump out of the boat and have to swim several
> miles to shore.

That is a lot of Kafka versions! I don't think anyone wants 3.x to go on that long, or the ZooKeeper metadata implementation either. Ultimately I believe such a very long multi-year transition period would make the code quality and project stability worse, since we'd have to split our efforts across the two implementations.

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Colin,

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 3, 2022, at 19:32, Luke Chen wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> So exciting to see the KIP to mark the Kraft production ready!
>
> Just one comment: We should make sure the period between ZK deprecation
> (i.e. v3.4.0) to ZK removal (i.e. v4.0.0) is not too short.
> Do we have any expectation for the deprecation period?
> After all, this is not a small feature change, and users need more time to
> do the migration.
> But to be honest, I don't know how long is long enough.
> Maybe at least half a year? Or more? Thoughts?

Hi Luke,

Like we discussed below, in chronological terms a Kafka release is about 4 or 5 months. So if we have 3.3, followed by a 4.0 where we drop ZK, that would be about 8 to 10 months. If we need more time we can add a 3.4 which will add another 4-5 months in between.

best,
Colin

Posted by Luke Chen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Colin,