Posted to user@storm.apache.org by "Mitchell Rathbun (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX)" <mr...@bloomberg.net> on 2017/09/28 23:06:06 UTC

Seek in KafkaSpout

Looking through the documentation, it seems that KafkaSpout does not expose any way to set the offset the spout reads from after the initial poll. This functionality is supported in KafkaConsumer through the seek() method. Am I correct that this isn't supported? Has anyone found a way to mimic the behavior of seek() with KafkaSpout?

Re: Seek in KafkaSpout

Posted by Stephen Powis <sp...@salesforce.com>.
I'm curious to your use case around this?  It seems odd to need to adjust
it on the fly while a topology is running, or I've misunderstood you!

If you store your consumer state in Zookeeper, you CAN adjust it between
topology deploys by manually modifying the stored state, and I've done this
to deal w/ maintenance or service issues to roll back to a specific point
in time.  Unsure if you're able to do this when consumer state is stored
within Kafka itself.

As a side note, I've been toying with a Kafka spout implementation that
allows dynamically consuming arbitrary ranges from topics that is to be
open sourced here soon.

Stephen