Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Emmanuel Bernard <ep...@yahoo.fr> on 2003/08/07 23:10:45 UTC

FAQ Hibernate and JDO

I read in the FAQ
 From the ASF licenced projects...
"OJB or Hibernate for JDO & plugins to the CMP engine"

Hibernate is a LGPL license project ;-(. Can it stilll stay in the
usable project ?

Re: FAQ Hibernate and JDO

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 11:53  pm, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

> The Geronimo plugin for Hibernate as Henri said seems to be a good
> idea :
> - Hibernate is a great tool (just my opinion ;-))
> - Integrating 2 different persistence layer greatly help to stay
> solution agnostic.
>
> Using Maven dependency allow the project to be Apache policy compliant
> (no hosting)

Just be aware that no Apache code can import any Hibernate classes
while its licenced as LGPL. So long as Hibernate (or some other
project) implements the binding to Geronimo outside of Apache thats
cool.

Though the binary distribution of Geronimo can't include Hibernate. But
developers can always add that themselves manually or via a Maven build.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: FAQ Hibernate and JDO

Posted by Emmanuel Bernard <ep...@yahoo.fr>.
The Geronimo plugin for Hibernate as Henri said seems to be a good idea :
 - Hibernate is a great tool (just my opinion ;-))
 - Integrating 2 different persistence layer greatly help to stay
solution agnostic.

Using Maven dependency allow the project to be Apache policy compliant
(no hosting)

Emmanuel

Re: FAQ Hibernate and JDO

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I didn't realise Hibernate was LGPL - sorry my mistake - so we should
probably remove it from the list for now.

If we created a plugin API inside Geronimo that someone could implement
with Hibernate (outside of Apache) then we could use Hibernate.

Though Apache (currently AFAIK) cannot...

* import any LGPL code
* host any LGPL binaries

So I guess we should just focus on OJB for now as a JDO / CMP plugin.

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 10:45  pm, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Hibernate can be pluggable, but it cannot be redistributed with
> Geronimo.
>
> The licensing for a plugin that plugs Hibernate into Geronimo is a bit
> harder to judge :)
>
> For example, Maven ships with a plugin for Hibernate. It is licensed
> under
> the Apache Software License, and yet taking the current thoughts on
> LGPL
> in a low-risk way suggests that this plugin might have to be shipped as
> LGPL.
>
> Hen
>
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
>
>> I read in the FAQ
>>  From the ASF licenced projects...
>> "OJB or Hibernate for JDO & plugins to the CMP engine"
>>
>> Hibernate is a LGPL license project ;-(. Can it stilll stay in the
>> usable project ?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/