Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Han Xin <ha...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/10 19:59:53 UTC

Can I run derby for a long time?

Can I run derby for a long time with many inserts, deletes and updates? Are
the memories, disk spaces recovered after deletion/updating?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Can I run derby for a long time?

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.
> Can I run derby for a long time with many inserts, deletes and updates? Are the memories, disk spaces recovered after deletion/updating?

I have run Derby as the primary database for a
mid-size Build Automation application. The application
ran 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, querying and updating
the database from up to 100 concurrent clients.

Derby was extremely reliable, and we ran it for
many months at a time between restart, with no
resource leak problems.

As long as my application was careful to close all its
ResultSet, Statement, and Connection objects appropriately,
we never detected any memory leaks.

I did not monitor space reclamation *within* database
tables, because that was not a critical issue for
my particular usage pattern.

thanks,

bryan

Re: Can I run derby for a long time?

Posted by John English <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/01/2014 20:59, Han Xin wrote:
> Can I run derby for a long time with many inserts, deletes and updates? Are the
> memories, disk spaces recovered after deletion/updating?

My experience is similar to Bryan's. I'm running a server on a small cheap Linux
box using Jetty and Derby which also has up to about 100 concurrent clients, and
I stop it for about half an hour every 3-4 months to install fixes and updates.
I've been running it like this for about 3 years now.
--
John English