Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeff Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/17 19:24:30 UTC

Maven java processes refusing to die

kill -9 <PID> is not doing  it.I've logged out and logged in again , still
no  luck.Now I have 2 maven java processes
one eating away 1.6G of memory and the other  204M.These 2 dudes are just
refusing to die

This  is on Linux machine.

--

Jeff  Mutonho

GoogleTalk : ejbengine
Skype        : ejbengine
Registered Linux user number 366042

Eclipse Plugin

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <do...@epsiia.com>.
Something happened recently that is preventing me from adding dependcies
from the plugin. It says that a file index/local/segments is missing.

I created the file but then it complains that about it being empty.

Re: Maven java processes refusing to die

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.
> The only time I see rogue maven processes is when our unit tests fork and I
> kill the main maven process.  The child unit test maven instance continues
> to run until the unit tests are complete.

I have seen this too (not sure if this unit tests fork or not) after
pressing STRG-C on the console. I could kill the jvm with windows task
manager.

Bernd

Re: Maven java processes refusing to die

Posted by Doug Douglass <do...@gmail.com>.
Funny, we've recently had kind of the opposite problem -- recurring SIGSEGV
problems during CruiseControl-initiated maven builds on a linux platform (CC
2.5, Maven 2.0.4, Sun JDK 1.5.0_07-b03 on a RH CentOS 3.7 SMP Intel box). It
was a rare occurrence until this week, now every build breaks due to the
seg. fault. :-/

It's interesting how nervous I feel without the CI green light. Tomorrow we
get to set up a new CI build machine to (hopefully) remedy the situation.

Anyway, just sharing a bit of misery.

Cheers,
Doug

On 8/17/06, NWNaccari@dsthealthsolutions.com <
NWNaccari@dsthealthsolutions.com> wrote:

> I saw this recently.  It turned out to be caused (how I don't know) by a
> service that had died on the server in the middle of the night.    The
> service was the "TSM Scheduler Service".   This is on a Windows Server.
>
> Wayne Naccari
> (205) 437-6464
>

> Mike Perham <mp...@us.ibm.com>
> 08/17/2006 04:29 PM
> Please respond to
> "Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

> "Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: Maven java processes refusing to die
>

> Reboot?
>
> The only time I see rogue maven processes is when our unit tests fork and
> kill the main maven process.  The child unit test maven instance continues
> to run until the unit tests are complete.
>
> mike
>
> "Jeff Mutonho" <ej...@gmail.com> wrote on 08/17/2006 12:24:30 PM:
>
> > kill -9 <PID> is not doing  it.I've logged out and logged in again ,
> still
> > no  luck.Now I have 2 maven java processes
> > one eating away 1.6G of memory and the other  204M.These 2 dudes are
> just
> > refusing to die
> >
> > This  is on Linux machine.

> This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the
> individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain
> information which is privileged, confidential and prohibited from
> disclosure or unauthorized use under applicable law.  If you are
> not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified
> that any use, dissemination, or copying of this e-mail or the
> information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the
> sender.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
> return the material received to the sender and delete all copies
> from your system.

Re: Maven java processes refusing to die

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
FWIW, TSM is the Tivoli Storage Manager, a backup service similiar to
Veritas' NetBackup.  It is possible (entering the realm of pure speculation
here; I am not a backup engineer, let alone a Tivoli backup engineer) that
if the TSM agent died in the middle of a backup, that it may have left the
OS in an unstable condition.

HTH,
Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you're not

Ian D. Stewart
Distributed Computing Engineer II
DSS eCommerce Engineering
Phone: (614) 244-2564

             NWNaccari@dstheal
             thsolutions.com
             08/17/2006 06:24          "Maven Users List"
             PM                        <us...@maven.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

               "Maven Users            Re: Maven java processes refusing
                   List"               to die
             <users@maven.apac
                  he.org>

I saw this recently.  It turned out to be caused (how I don't know) by a
service that had died on the server in the middle of the night.    The
service was the "TSM Scheduler Service".   This is on a Windows Server.

Wayne Naccari
(205) 437-6464

Mike Perham <mp...@us.ibm.com>
08/17/2006 04:29 PM
Please respond to
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Maven java processes refusing to die

Reboot?

The only time I see rogue maven processes is when our unit tests fork and
kill the main maven process.  The child unit test maven instance continues
to run until the unit tests are complete.

mike

"Jeff Mutonho" <ej...@gmail.com> wrote on 08/17/2006 12:24:30 PM:

> kill -9 <PID> is not doing  it.I've logged out and logged in again ,
still
> no  luck.Now I have 2 maven java processes
> one eating away 1.6G of memory and the other  204M.These 2 dudes are
just
> refusing to die
>
> This  is on Linux machine.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the
individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain
information which is privileged, confidential and prohibited from
disclosure or unauthorized use under applicable law.  If you are
not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, or copying of this e-mail or the
information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the
sender.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
return the material received to the sender and delete all copies
from your system.

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,

Re: Maven java processes refusing to die

Posted by NW...@dsthealthsolutions.com.

Posted by Mike Perham <mp...@us.ibm.com>.

Reboot?