Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/16 17:24:24 UTC

Getting to 4.0 end game

I believe we are getting very close to the 4.0 end game.

I still have a few bugs I really want to fix, and some more
documentation and tutorials that *should* get written.  But nothing
that can't wait for a 4.0.1 bug fix release or a 4.1 release.

I would encourage developers to take a look at the open bug list and
see what's pending.

How many people are using 4.0 in a production environment right now?
Or ramping up to a production environment?

My biggest concern is runtime performance. My gut feeling is that
outside of startup time, 4.0 is equal to or better performing than
3.0.  I've been troubled by some concerns on the web about memory
leeks possibly related to Javassist class creation (but I suspect
those people are running with caching disabled and just don't know it,
or won't admit it).

I'm hoping that beta-12 will be the last beta, and we can call a vote
for a release candidate after that. However, release working software
is more important than keeping to a schedule.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: Getting to 4.0 end game

Posted by "Joachim (PROGS)" <jo...@progs.be>.
p green wrote:
> The issue of memory leaks. I was definitely running on a system with
> caching enabled. Unless there is another way to disable the cache  other
> than using the argument:
>
> -Dorg.apache.tapestry.disable-caching=true

When you use this setting, you disable caching. The default tapestry
behaviour is to have caching enabled.

Joachim

Re: Getting to 4.0 end game (Performance Tools)

Posted by Adam Greene <ag...@professionalopensource.ca>.
Eclipse Foundation offers a free profiler, not sure all that it does (have
only had a chance to look at it quickly).  It is the TPTP project (Test and
PerformanceTools Platform).  http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/

NetBeans offers one as well.  http://profiler.netbeans.org/

Also AppPerfect Standard Edition http://www.appperfect.com

So don't say you don't have one now :-)

Posted by p green <pg...@dsl.pipex.com>.

Re: Getting to 4.0 end game

Posted by Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi <le...@dtqsoftware.com>.
Howard Lewis Ship escribió:

>How many people are using 4.0 in a production environment right now?
>Or ramping up to a production environment?

I'm ramping up to production environment with Tap 4. There are several
blocker issues down there, or at least very annoying ones. I provided
some insight on some of them, but I haven't seen any answers on that.

>My biggest concern is runtime performance. My gut feeling is that
>outside of startup time, 4.0 is equal to or better performing than
>3.0.  I've been troubled by some concerns on the web about memory
>leeks possibly related to Javassist class creation (but I suspect
>those people are running with caching disabled and just don't know it,
>or won't admit it).

Memory leaks are VERY bad code smells, IMO, wheter is development or
production... We don't know if those 'caching enabled only' issues can
arise in production servers after some months of intense workload.

--
Ing. Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi
Director Técnico

Re: Getting to 4.0 end game

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
They should be, but it's not urgent.

Re: Getting to 4.0 end game

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Also,

Re: Getting to 4.0 end game

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Re: Getting to 4.0 end game

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On 10/17/05, Mikaël Cluseau <nw...@nwrk.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Also, we are working on XUL support for Tapestry (4.0), we'll release
> that open-sourced (GPL? LGPL? ASL? BSD?) for sure ;) We hope that it
> will help Tapestry in reaching the rich-web-client bright futur ;)

Very interesting to hear. I'll look for your news.

--
Massimo

Re: Getting to 4.0 end game

Posted by Mikaël Cluseau <nw...@nwrk.dyndns.org>.
We use Tapestry in prod since alpha-3... we use lots of memory because
of big database caches, big it doesn't seems that Tapestry either had
memory leak. As I said a long time ago, the transition was not painful,
except for services, which needed lots of rewrite but... that's so much
cleaner than before ;)

We really enjoy Tapestry 4.0, event from those early alphas, so *real*
*big* thanks for all the work done by the community.

Also, we are working on XUL support for Tapestry (4.0), we'll release
that open-sourced (GPL? LGPL? ASL? BSD?) for sure ;) We hope that it
will help Tapestry in reaching the rich-web-client bright futur ;)

Mikael.

Re: Getting to 4.0 end game

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:24:24 -0400, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would encourage developers to take a look at the open bug list and
> see what's pending.

Would it be best for us to vote on issues that we really want to see
fixed?  For me, there are some bugs that I'd really like to see fixed in
4.0.  I'm sure others feel the same.  Unfortunately, I still have not been
able to build Tapestry on MacOS X, making contributions a bit hard.

> How many people are using 4.0 in a production environment right now?
> Or ramping up to a production environment?

I've actually just recently deployed our new public Web site using
Tapestry 4.  So far, no real problems.  Just to clarify a bit, while there
are some bugs I'd really like to see fixed in 4.0, I do have current
workarounds to them.  So, they haven't been blockers for us, but some have
been annoying, making the dev cycle longer than necessary.

All in all though, I'm very happy with the current state of Tapestry 4.
It is a remarkable improvement over Tapestry 3 and I suspect that had we
written the site in Tapestry 3, we'd still be a month off from deploying
anyway.

--
Kevin