Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com> on 2004/01/09 22:23:19 UTC

persistency question

I experiencing behavior I don't expect:

I have

<property-specification name="foo" type="java.util.List" initial-value="new
java.util.ArrayList(0)" persistent="yes" />

for the selected values of a Palette component. It persists, as expected,
but when I go off to other pages in the application and come back, it's
still persisted. I expected it to only persist between calls to the *same*
page.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Jamie

Re: persistency question

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
Gotchya. At some point I got it in my head that a page property should
persist only between calls to that same page (go to another page, property
is reset). And now that I think about it I don't know why.

Jamie

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.

Re: persistency question

RE: Tapestry Developer wanted!

Posted by ford prefect <fo...@yahoo.de>.
I would never dare to ask you ....

You are probably too busy writing the documentation
and developing Tapestry further. Apart from that it
would be too simple for you and not very demanding

I just want to have the equivalent of the following
PHP Script in Java using Tapestry's component
framework:

The PHP Script knows 3 different parameters:
a,b and c.

myScript.php?a=car&b=tree&c=red for instance.

<?php // myScript.php

// the header php component generate a html
// header and metadata depending on parameter
// a and parameter b

include("htmlHeader.php");

// the heading component displays the header of this
// website, depending on the data parameter c

include("heading.php");

// the leftStuff php component includes
// navigation windows that depend on parameters
// a,b and c
// this means, that inside of leftStuff
// more lefts_stuff_1.inc left_stuff_2.inc etc. are
// included depending on parameters a and c

include("leftStuff.php");

include("centerStuff.php");
include("rightStuff.php");

// the footer depends only on parameter 1
include("htmlFooter");

?>

So basically the whole website consists of
one php script and it is mainly configurable
through the database that is fed with the content.

The layout can be changed by changing either
individual components, such as leftStuff_1.inc or
leftStuff_2.inc
or components one hierarchy up.

I dont have a glue how to solve it using tapestry but
I am sure it would work somehow and that it would also
be a better and more stable etc.... solution using
Java instead of PHP.

RE: Tapestry Developer wanted!

Posted by ford prefect <fo...@yahoo.de>.
Ok, additionally I want to add some more comments:

- for a Tapestry java component I would like
  have different components, such as a left navigation

  window component, a right component that determine
   the content and sub-components that determine their
    layout.

- additionally there is a fourth parameter that tells
the language. if this language is available, the text
is displayed in that language else it falls back on
the default english component.

I do not want to have a "page" for every single
purpose, I only want to have one page that depends on
subcomponents and configures itself. I only want to
specify what happens when, meaning what is included
and what not in certain conditions.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.
Note the words "Independent Consultant" in my signature.

Tapestry Developer wanted!

Re: persistency question

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.

Re: persistency question

Posted by Mindbridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Oh sorry. Harish is right about the problem you describe -- I thought you
meant to see the page in another session. You might still see a similar
problem with different sessions in the current version, however, so please
get the next one when it comes out.

Re: persistency question

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
Thanks Harish and Mindbridge. I'll get the latest from CVS. And try that
out.

Jamie

Re: persistency question

Re: persistency question

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
I don't necessarily, but I was experimenting with some possibilities and
came across this unexpected behavior. I'm doing a search, where I have
twelve lists that can get set to populate a filter. The filter is sent to
the search and the results returned on another page. There's a lot of
conversion going on between the selectedValues and the types the filter
wants and then back again when I want to do a "revise search" (back on the
original page). I set the value to "persistent" just to see what it would
do.

What I'm trying to do is save the search criteria from my 12 lists. I
thought I had a bucket brigade approach that would work, but my
selectedValues properties keep losing the values I'm passing back (when I
return from the Results page to the Search page). Dunno why, and I set one
to persistent to see what would happen.

Jamie

Re: persistency question

Posted by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu>.

Re: persistency question

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <hk...@comcast.net>.
You need to let Tapestry know when to forget the values by calling the engine.forgetPage(pageName)
at an appropriate place typically before activating the new page.

-Harish