Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Reliquiem <bb...@live.de> on 2009/09/08 14:54:41 UTC

Greek Chars

Hello,

I’ve got a a little problem with the printing of the alpha and beta
characters.
I am generating PDF-reports from a webinterface with XML and XSL-FO.
On this reports are the Characters “Alpha” and “Beta” from the Greek
alphabet.
But if I print this form, then the Greek chars turn into # . Why?

Thanks for help!

Michael

AW: Greek Chars

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi JD,

Theoretically you are right, if the user wants to enter a greek text. But I assume the user is entering mathematical text and does not want to tag the symbols in a way, so replacement for each new character will be necessary anyway.

Regards,

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl

Geneon media solutions gmbh
Gutenstetter Straße 8a
90449 Nürnberg

HRB Nürnberg: 17193
Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert

Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20

www.geneon.de

Re: Greek Chars

Posted by Jean-François El Fouly <je...@elfouly.fr>.
What kind of font do you use to print them ?

AW: Greek Chars

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi Michael,

no need to send direct mail, obviously the main problem is already solved. For the next problem, find out how your web interface stores the greek characters and transform them in your xslt form <whatever> to <fo:inline font-family="Symbol">&#x03B1;</fo:inline>

Googling for xslt and replace leads to

http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/replace.html

and I guess that's all you need.

Posted by Reliquiem <bb...@live.de>.

Re: Greek Chars

Re: AW: Greek Chars

Posted by J D <ab...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

I concur with what Georg has to say. You need to get the true type font (ttf
file) and generate a font metrics file for the Greek font and configure it
for fop. This URL should help you.
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html

Also, how did you get you Greek characters into the xml input file.

JD

AW: Greek Chars

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi Michael,

Most likely, because you use a font where the character is not available. How are the letters written into the XML and into the fo file? Maybe you use a non-unicode font?