Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Michael Bierenfeld <mi...@atmiralis.de> on 2000/09/15 15:05:33 UTC

Off topic but imho important

Hello out there,

I am having the following Problem. We are
currently developing a website where security is
very important. Guess the following situation.

XML - content :

<link
target="http://www.some.site/display_user.xml?id=110">display</link>

transferred to HTML-content

<a
href="http://www.some.site/display_user.xml?id=110">display</a>

The problem is that if the Browser display the
Page coming from Database. No one protects the
application from typing in the LOCATION-BAR :
http://www.some.site/display_user.xml?id=4711

=> user 110 is able to see the vital data from
user 4711. <=        IMPOSSIBLE !!!!!

Is there a way to hide the parameters in the
location bar. JavaScript is fine or maybe there is
a apache-setting. In the response Header or so. I
could imagine several ways :

- Using a sessionid and store the values in some
sort of HashTable
- Crypt the parametersvalues and send it together
with a funny hashcode to avoid hits by accident

Sorry for beeing OT.

Kind regards

Michael

Re: Off topic but imho important

Posted by OD <od...@feersumendjinns.com>.
Hi,

Hmm...
Using session tracking via a sessionid will work and, I think,  is a fairly
standard  way of achieving this.
If you want to use JavaScript to encrypt you parameter values check:
http://pajhome.org.uk/crypt/index.html
http://www.builder.com/Programming/Scripter/013100/ss02.html

Corey O'Donovan

Posted by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, OD wrote:

> Is your auth taglib not up to this Ulrich?

Um, yes :)

It does what I suggested: perform authentication and connect a session to
it. This is still vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack and someone
breaking into your webserver. But it's about as much as can be done
without spending serious $$$. You can of course throw some kind of
encryption on top of auth, like md5 or whatever, but in my mind without a
site certicicate this still doesn't protect from man-in-the-middle
attacks.

Ulrich

Re: Off topic but imho important

Posted by OD <od...@feersumendjinns.com>.

Posted by Michael Bierenfeld <mi...@atmiralis.de>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> mayring@denic.de wrote:
> >

> > The simplest way to hide them is if you use POST instead of GET
> > parameters.
>
> I think I should add this: of course, using POST (or whatever other
> method of hiding the parameters) still does not prevent someone from
> guessing your parameter name. So that alone does not improve security
> very much, you also have to do something like employ an authentication
> scheme and connect a session to it.
>
> Ulrich
>
> --
> Ulrich Mayring
> DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Hello,

it is pretty secure in terms of http and
authentification. The whole stuff runs over a
ssl-server with card identification. The ssl-proxy
stores the user identification/hash in the
http-header.

The whole application is a mixture of POST (Forms)
and GETS (urls builded dynamically). So I am realy
thinking to do it like this :

eg. GET-PARAMETERS :

http://www.somesite.com/index.xml?nUser=100&sPassword=honey

   will be

http://www.somesite.com/index.xml?nUser=x3z&sPassword=urfnx&sHashCode=7485jgh7

   1) Crypt the Parametervalues
   2) Send it away whith a HashCode identifying
the original Params and that the url is comming
from a servlet/xsp

eg. POST:

   ?-) Does not apply :-).

Ill post the code if it is done.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
michael@atmiralis.de wrote:

> Is there a way to hide the parameters in the
> location bar. JavaScript is fine or maybe there is
> a apache-setting. In the response Header or so. I
> could imagine several ways :

The simplest way to hide them is if you use POST instead of GET
parameters. That way someone has to hack your server or do a man in the
middle attack to see them.

Avoiding the man in the middle attack: the only way I see is with site
certificates and https
Avoiding your server is hacked: take it off the Internet or at least use
a well-configured Firewall :-)

There are of course a number of expensive, professional security
solutions as well, like hardware keys that change every minute and such.

Ulrich