Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm> on 2009/03/04 15:08:08 UTC

Name change branding

Given that most people will never have heard of Ki or associate the term
"Ki" with security at first, does it make more sense to call it "Ki
Security" or something that immediately alerts users to the purpose of
the project?  This could either be the official name or a secondary name
that we commonly use to communicate the project's purpose.

Thoughts?

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Emmanuel,

On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Jeremy Haile wrote:
>> Yeah - I definitely like the shortness for the official name, jar
>> files (ki.jar), abbreviations, packages, etc.
>>
>> I'm referring more to branding, saying it out loud, etc.  I think
>> saying Ki Security is nice because people instantly understand it's
>> a security library.  BTW - are we allowed to call it Apache Ki
>> while it's still in incubation?  Or would it be better to call it
>> "Ki Security" until it graduates?
> Incubator is an ASF project, and you are under its umbrella, so
> Apache Ki is an ASF Project !

Just a minor quibble. Apache Ki is an ASF Podling.

But I agree with your main point about discussing Apache Ki in public.
It's only in official disclaimers that we need to point out that we're
still incubating.

And of course, no press releases, etc. etc. But talk it up!

Craig

> cordialement, regards,
> Emmanuel Lécharny
> www.iktek.com
> directory.apache.org

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Cool - thanks for clearing that up!  I haven't been sure whether I can
"officially" call it that.

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Its ok - I didn't take it that way :)  But I still wanted to elaborate and
give folks an insight as to why I suggested the name.  I think its all
pretty cool.

And yes, Kanji is fascinating to me as well.  It can be a Wonderland Rabbit
Hole though - how far down it do you want to go? :)

Cheers,

Les

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Les!

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Oops - almost forgot something that is kinda neat:  'Ki' for the character
below, with to the expected feeling of strength and security, carries the
additional connotation of being surrounded by a protective barrier - like a
wall or moat.

Kinda cool connotation for a software framework - a protective barrier for
your application ;)

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Les,

You mentioned that "Ki" means fortress in Japanese.  Do you have any
links that talk about this?  I'd like to be more well-versed in some
of the various meanings/reasons behind calling it that.  Obviously, as
time goes on hopefully we'll just build the branding up so that it
doesn't matter, but I think having some meaning behind a name is nice

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

Re: Name change branding

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.