Posted to agila-dev@incubator.apache.org by David Black <db...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/19 15:02:27 UTC

a few questions about the BPM code

Hi,

I've been walking thru the BPM code (I have the latest from svn), I'm
wondering about a few things:

1. Is there some reason it doesn't use commons logging for logging (I
see lots of System.out.printlin and e.printStackTrace) ? I see that
there is a LogService, no impl tho ...

2. I notice the only impl of TimerService is a 'memory' one - anyone
doing a persistent one?

3. the AgilaDAO interface does not seem to have any methods for
persisting running timers (TimerService) - am I misunderstanding the
timer concept, or just not done yet?

4. With a little refactoring JDBCUtil could either use the
jdbc.properties file and DriverManager etc. to get a connection, or it
could look up a DataSource via JNDI, to facilitate getting a
connection from a container provided pool etc. etc. - appropriate?
anyone done this already (uncommitted perhaps)?

Also, is there a date/target for Agila coming out of incubation?

many thanks

--------------------
David Black

RE: a few questions about the BPM code

Posted by David Black <db...@pacemetrics.com>.
Hi,

Ok, finally got back to looking at this.

I have done #4 - JDBCUtil/datasource change: if you specify

jdbc.jndi.lookup = true (default is false)

in the jdbc.properties file, and also

agila.datasource.jndi.name = agilaDataSource
agila.datasource.jndi.namespace = java:comp/env

(shown with defaults) then it will attempt to lookup and use a DataSource
and get connections from that etc., else it will just work as before.

Will happily do the others, but I'm wondering about committing/contributing
... some guidance please :)

many thanks
David Black

On Jul 19, 2005, at 11:02 AM, David Black wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been walking thru the BPM code (I have the latest from svn), I'm
> wondering about a few things:
>
> 1. Is there some reason it doesn't use commons logging for logging (I
> see lots of System.out.printlin and e.printStackTrace) ? I see that
> there is a LogService, no impl tho ...

There should be an impl that uses clogging.

> 2. I notice the only impl of TimerService is a 'memory' one - anyone
> doing a persistent one?

No - thanks for volunteering! :)

> 3. the AgilaDAO interface does not seem to have any methods for
> persisting running timers (TimerService) - am I misunderstanding the
> timer concept, or just not done yet?

Not done.  See above :)

> 4. With a little refactoring JDBCUtil could either use the
> jdbc.properties file and DriverManager etc. to get a connection, or it
> could look up a DataSource via JNDI, to facilitate getting a
> connection from a container provided pool etc. etc. - appropriate?
> anyone done this already (uncommitted perhaps)?

If no one, go for it

> Also, is there a date/target for Agila coming out of incubation?

Not yet - we want to build a bigger committer community, user
community, etc.  There's no real downside for being here as we grow.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: a few questions about the BPM code

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Jul 19, 2005, at 11:02 AM, David Black wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been walking thru the BPM code (I have the latest from svn), I'm
> wondering about a few things:
>
> 1. Is there some reason it doesn't use commons logging for logging (I
> see lots of System.out.printlin and e.printStackTrace) ? I see that
> there is a LogService, no impl tho ...

There should be an impl that uses clogging.

> 2. I notice the only impl of TimerService is a 'memory' one - anyone
> doing a persistent one?

No - thanks for volunteering! :)

geirm@apache.org