Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by manhua <ke...@qq.com> on 2018/08/23 12:19:16 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Remove BTree related code

Hi All,
     Since I read latest code of carbon and found that BTree related code is
only used by a test class called`BTreeBlockFinderTest`. So I try delete
those codes and test shows it works fine. But I wonder whether to delete
those code now or anyone thinks it can be used for something else ?

---changes I did:

1. delete 11 files
AbstractBTreeBuilder.java
AbstractBTreeLeafNode.java
BlockBTreeBuilder.java
BlockBTreeLeafNode.java
BTreeDataRefNodeFinder.java
BTreeNode.java
BTreeNonLeafNode.java
BtreeBuilder.java
BTreeBuilderInfo.java
DataRefNodeFinder.java
BTreeBlockFinderTest.java

2. remove following lines of codes and only keep codes in if block, because
all `dataRefNode` are instance of BlockletDataRefNode which created in
IndexWrapper

https://github.com/apache/carbondata/blob/6029b28006d54db74682e9348a92bebdf518d07d/core/src/main/java/org/apache/carbondata/core/scan/result/iterator/AbstractDetailQueryResultIterator.java#L131-L155

Re: [DISCUSSION] Remove BTree related code

Posted by manishgupta88 <to...@gmail.com>.
+!

I agree with the idea of removing the B-Tree code as it is not getting used
now.

Regards
Manish Gupta

Re: [DISCUSSION] Remove BTree related code

Posted by xuchuanyin <xu...@hust.edu.cn>.
I find the PR in github and leave a comment. Here I copy the comments:

I have doubt about the below scenario:
For sort_columns, the minmax is ordered for all the blocks/blocklets in one
segment.

Suppose that we are doing filtering on sort_columns and the filter looks
like Col1='bb'.
If the minmax values for blocklet#1, blocklet#2, blocklet#3 is [a,c), [c,d),
[d,e).
After carbondata find max value of blocklet#1 already covers filter value
'bb', Will it still compare filter value 'bb' with the minmax of the rest
blocklets#2/#3? I though the BTree can be used to avoid these comparison.

Am I wrong?

Re: [DISCUSSION] Remove BTree related code

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.
+1
Better to clean it if it is not used

Regards,
Jacky

Posted by Kunal Kapoor <ku...@gmail.com>.
+1 for removing unused code

Posted by Ravindra Pesala <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ravi

Re: [DISCUSSION] Remove BTree related code

Posted by Kumar Vishal <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David CaiQiang <da...@gmail.com>.
+0 for 1. delete 11 files

Better to add Start/End keys to DataMapRow also.
In my opinion, the union of Min/Max values and Start/End keys can work
better.

-----
Best Regards
David Cai