Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Smith Norton <sm...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/16 21:24:52 UTC

Version 0.9 is Beta?

Current version of Nutch is 0.9. It is not 1.0 or above. Does it mean
it is beta version? When can we expect a stable version?

If it is not beta version please describe the versioning system of
Nutch. How do you ensure that every version is well tested?

Re: Version 0.9 is Beta?

Posted by 1M <ma...@gmail.com>.
I saw somewhere at the site that Nutch uses Apache guidelines of versioning.
I have not read it, so you can refer them to get a clear idea.

--
I'M THE NAME OF THE GAME.

Re: Version 0.9 is Beta?

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
Smith Norton wrote:
> Current version of Nutch is 0.9. It is not 1.0 or above. Does it mean
> it is beta version? When can we expect a stable version?

It's very common for Open Source projects to keep version numbers well
below 1.0, even if the platform is robust and stable. :) From this point
of view, a release may be numbered < 1.0 but still represent stable and
useful functionality far beyond what's commonly named a "beta". Think
about various Google "Beta" applications ... ;)

In case of Nutch, we are working now on 1.0 release, because we consider
the platform to be stable enough, and feature-complete enough to merit
this version.

Official releases (both those from the 0.x.x line and the upcoming 1.0
release) are prepared from the trunk/ after a period of stabilization
and extensive testing.

> If it is not beta version please describe the versioning system of
> Nutch. How do you ensure that every version is well tested?

We have a suite of JUnit tests. Admittedly it's not as complete as one
could wish, but it covers the basic functionality.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><