Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Yu <li...@apache.org> on 2022/08/11 09:01:50 UTC

[Discuss] PIP 198: Standardize PR Naming Convention using GitHub Actions

Hi team,

For PIP 198: Standardize PR Naming Convention using GitHub Actions [1], we've
got many different suggestions on implementation details. Let's discuss
them one by one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Discussion topic:

For PR titles, which convention should we follow?
- Angular convention [2] - Our existing convention (it's customized based
on Angular) [3] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The differences between Angular and ours
are: 1. Definition 1.1 Property - Angular: [type] is required, [scope] is
optional - Ours: [type] and [scope] are required 1.2 Content - Angular: ci,
test, and docs belong to [type] - Ours: ci, test, and docs belong to
[scope] because
I think [type] defines "what action do you make" (eg.
add/delete/update/...),
while [scope] defines "where do you make changes". 2. Punctuation -
Angular: parenthesis and exclaim points are used - Ours: brackets are used
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Comparison examples Taking existing Pulsar PR titles as
examples: Example 1 - Angular: fix: Filter out already deleted entries
again before sending messages to consumers - Ours: [fix][broker] Filter out
already deleted entries again before sending messages to consumers Example
2 - Angular: ci: add flaky test issues and PRs to flaky test project -
Ours: [feat][ci] Add flaky test issues and PRs to flaky test project
Example 3 - Angular: docs: Document configuration added by PIP-145 doc -
Ours: [improve][doc] Document configuration added by PIP-145 doc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I prefer our customized convention because: - It makes PR
titles more clear and self-explanatory. - No need to change users' habits
since many people in the community have followed and gotten used to it for
several months [4]. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Feel free to comment. Thank you!
[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sJlUNAHnYAbvu9UtEgCrn_oVTnVc1M5nHC19x1bFab4/edit?pli=1

[2]
https://github.com/angular/angular/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md#commit-message-header
[3]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d8Pw6ZbWk-_pCKdOmdvx9rnhPiyuxwq60_TrD68d7BA/edit?pli=1#bookmark=id.y8943h392zno
[4] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pulls

Yu, Max, mangoGoForward

Re: [Discuss] PIP 198: Standardize PR Naming Convention using GitHub Actions

Posted by Yunze Xu <yz...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.
+1 on the customized one

Thanks,
Yunze

Posted by Alexander Preuss via users <us...@pulsar.apache.org>.
Hi together,

Posted by Liu Yu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi team

Thanks for your feedback!

Here is the voting result:
Our existing convention (customized based on Angular) is chosen!

~~~~~~

Our existing convention votes:
5, +1: Yu, Alex, Yunze, Jun, Qiang,
1, +0: tison

Angular convention votes:
1, +1: tison

~~~~~~

I’ll close this discussion and initiate a discussion about another implementation detail in the next email.

Yu

Posted by Yu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi team,

Posted by Yu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi tison,

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Qiang Huang <qi...@gmail.com>.

--
BR,
Qiang Huang

Re: [Discuss] PIP 198: Standardize PR Naming Convention using GitHub Actions

Posted by Jun M <mo...@hotmail.com>.
+1 on the customized one.

Cheers
momo-jun

Re: [Discuss] PIP 198: Standardize PR Naming Convention using GitHub Actions

Posted by Alexander Preuss <al...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.
Hi together,