Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Veillard <ve...@rufus.w3.org> on 1998/02/24 06:18:16 UTC

Re: Apache "ports" system

  I guess there is no need to restart a BSD/Linux/AnyOS war on packaging,
people will use the packaging native to their OS (or distribution), and
if not available recompile from the tar.gz(s) . I don't see anyone converting
his system initially using A for B just because B has so many nice features.

Daniel

Re: Apache "ports" system

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
I like this idea.

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/

Re: Apache "ports" system

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   I guess there is no need to restart a BSD/Linux/AnyOS war on packaging,
> people will use the packaging native to their OS (or distribution), and
> if not available recompile from the tar.gz(s) . I don't see anyone converting
> his system initially using A for B just because B has so many nice features.

But the whole point is if you are making up a group of packages that can
be easily installed by users and are gathered together in a common place
in a common form, etc. then you need some common packaging form for it.

You are comfortable just downloading and using what you need.  I am
comfortable doing that.  A lot of Joe users aren't.  Not only that, but
even if they are they simply aren't aware of what is out there.

If someone says "oh, but Apache doesn't include a local search engine" it
is a lot easier to say "type one line, and xxx (where xxx is my favorite
program) is installed and works period" than to say "oh, you can go
download it from xxx and unpackit it and figure out how to compile it and
etc.

Some of the RPMs that RedHat ships already do things like this.  What I
think would be cool would be a more full-fledged more inclusive Apache
system for this not tied to any OS.

No, no time right now, but... someday...