Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2000/02/19 11:36:39 UTC

apxs continuing problem

I've been getting reports for probably the past year about a problem in
APXS. It seems that when it is built, the CFG_LD_SHLIB line ends up empty.
Something like:

my $CFG_LD_SHLIB      = '';        # substituted via Makefile.tmpl

It seems to happen here and there for unknown reasons. I haven't been able
to find a pattern at all in the reports, nor have I ever seen it myself.

Has anybody ever seen this? Anybody know why?

I've always been suspicious that people didn't build Apache with shared
module support, and noted that in my install doc where it talks about this
APXS problem. People have sent me "httpd -l" lists showing mod_so in
there.

This latest report was from a Linux RedHat 6.1 system on a SparcServer
1000. The guy said "nothing exotic".

(I've got a 6.1 system on an x86 box and it works fine)

Anybody seen this?

thx,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: apxs continuing problem

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 rasmus@apache.org wrote:
> > I've been getting reports for probably the past year about a problem in
> > APXS. It seems that when it is built, the CFG_LD_SHLIB line ends up empty.
> > Something like:
> >
> > my $CFG_LD_SHLIB      = '';        # substituted via Makefile.tmpl
> >

> > It seems to happen here and there for unknown reasons. I haven't been able
> > to find a pattern at all in the reports, nor have I ever seen it myself.
> >
> > Has anybody ever seen this? Anybody know why?
>
> Oh yeah, I have definitely seen it and PHP even includes an autoconf check
> for it along with the broken apxs Redhat distributed with RH-6.1:
>
>   if test "a`$APXS -q LD_SHLIB`" = "a" || test "`$APXS -q LIBEXECDIR`" = "modules"; then
>     PHP_APXS_BROKEN=yes
>   fi

>   if test -n "$PHP_APXS_BROKEN" ; then
>     echo "=================================================================="
>     echo "WARNING: Your $APXS script is most likely broken."
>     echo ""
>     echo "Please go read http://www.php.net/FAQ.php3#4.11 and make the"
>     echo "changes described there and try again."
>     echo "=================================================================="
>   fi

Heh. I guess that I should probably insert the same checks into mod_dav.
Sigh...  The FAQ entry is good. I've referenced that from my installation
guide.

Thanx for the info, Rasmus!

Now... does anybody know why apxs is munged in the first place? :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: apxs continuing problem

Posted by ra...@apache.org.
> I've been getting reports for probably the past year about a problem in
> APXS. It seems that when it is built, the CFG_LD_SHLIB line ends up empty.
> Something like:
>
> my $CFG_LD_SHLIB      = '';        # substituted via Makefile.tmpl
>

> It seems to happen here and there for unknown reasons. I haven't been able
> to find a pattern at all in the reports, nor have I ever seen it myself.
>
> Has anybody ever seen this? Anybody know why?

Oh yeah, I have definitely seen it and PHP even includes an autoconf check
for it along with the broken apxs Redhat distributed with RH-6.1:

  if test "a`$APXS -q LD_SHLIB`" = "a" || test "`$APXS -q LIBEXECDIR`" = "modules"; then
    PHP_APXS_BROKEN=yes
  fi

  if test -n "$PHP_APXS_BROKEN" ; then
    echo "WARNING: Your $APXS script is most likely broken."
    echo ""
    echo "Please go read http://www.php.net/FAQ.php3#4.11 and make the"
    echo "changes described there and try again."
  fi

-Rasmus