Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/12 00:26:06 UTC

Continuum as the Continuous Integration Solution

Hi Folks,

How do you feel about switching to Continuum from Hudson as our CI
solution? I've been looking at the build notifications sent by
Continuum in the HttpComponents mailing list and they are very clean,
easy to comprehend and full of useful details. The Continuum
interface/dashboard also looks very good. For an example have a look
at [1]. WDYT?

Thanks,
Hiranya

[1] - http://vmbuild.apache.org/continuum/buildResult.action?buildId=1544&projectId=66

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Senior Software Engineer;

RE: Continuum as the Continuous Integration Solution

Posted by "Hubert, Eric" <Er...@foxmobile.com>.
I’m also too late for this discussion but just wanted to let you know about my consent. I completely agree with Andreas. I know both CI solutions and Hudson is superior in many areas. To some degree the content of the build (error) messages can be customized in the job configuration “Editable Email Notification”.
Build errors caused by the underlying infrastructure will happen with any build system.

By the way, Hudson also incorporates support for many nice code quality plugins visualizing the history/trend of those results. In a separate “doc” job you can for example integrate java doc creation, findbugs, pmd, checkstyle, cobertura, etc – which can also add a lot of value to a project with limited extra configuration effort. I haven’t seen much usage of this in the Apache Hudson installation though. Maybe because many of the Apache projects have been already integrated in http://nemo.sonarsource.org/ with some rule set? Synapse is also present there.

Regards,
   Eric

+1 for Hudson.

Thanks,
Ruwan
On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 19:00, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 07:31 +0530, Hiranya Jayathilaka wrote:
>>> Thanks for your input. My concern is that Hudson reports/notifications
>>> sometimes are completely useless. Also recently there have been so
>>> many false negatives reported on the list. I was hoping that may be
>>> Continuum doesn't suffer these limitations.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Hiranya
>>>

>> We at HttpComponents use both Continuum and Hudson, though, I personally
>> find Hudson to be easier to manager and generally better. Both systems
>> tend to produce false positives when running low on resources or are
>> under heavy load. However in most cases the failures manifested
>> themselves as various timeouts (connect / response timeouts) rather any
>> particular flaw in the CI system.
>>
>> The main source of trouble with Hudson for me were frequent failures
>> with deploying snapshots to the repository.apache.org<http://repository.apache.org>, which, as Andreas
>> pointed out, has nothing to do with Hudson as such.
>
> I see. Thanks Andreas and Oleg for the details. I guess we'll be
> sticking with Hudson :)
You're welcome. Note that if you have questions about why a particular
build has failed or if you would like to improve the configuration of
the Synapse jobs, please feel free to ask.

BTW: there will be false negatives because repository.apache.org<http://repository.apache.org> again
has problems :-(

Re: Continuum as the Continuous Integration Solution

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Hudson.

<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 19:00, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
> wrote:

> >> We at HttpComponents use both Continuum and Hudson, though, I personally
> >> find Hudson to be easier to manager and generally better. Both systems
> >> tend to produce false positives when running low on resources or are
> >> under heavy load. However in most cases the failures manifested
> >> themselves as various timeouts (connect / response timeouts) rather any
> >> particular flaw in the CI system.
> >>
> >> The main source of trouble with Hudson for me were frequent failures
> >> with deploying snapshots to the repository.apache.org, which, as
> Andreas
> >> pointed out, has nothing to do with Hudson as such.
> >
> > I see. Thanks Andreas and Oleg for the details. I guess we'll be
> > sticking with Hudson :)
>
> You're welcome. Note that if you have questions about why a particular
> build has failed or if you would like to improve the configuration of
> the Synapse jobs, please feel free to ask.
>
> BTW: there will be false negatives because repository.apache.org again
> has problems :-(
>
> > Thanks,
> > Hiranya
> >

> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Oleg

> > --
> > Hiranya Jayathilaka
> > Senior Software Engineer;
> > WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.org
> > E-mail: hiranya@wso2.com;  Mobile: +94 77 633 3491
> > Blog: http://techfeast-hiranya.blogspot.com

Ruwan Linton
Software Architect & Product Manager, WSO2 ESB; http://wso2.org/esb
WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.org

Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

phone: +1 408 754 7388 ext 51789
email: ruwan@wso2.com; cell: +94 77 341 3097
blog: http://blog.ruwan.org
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ruwanlinton
google: http://www.google.com/profiles/ruwan.linton
tweet: http://twitter.com/ruwanlinton

Re: Continuum as the Continuous Integration Solution

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 04:51, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Andreas Veithen
> <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 03:01, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks for your input. My concern is that Hudson reports/notifications
>>> sometimes are completely useless.
>>
>> Can you give me an example of this?
>
> Well most of the recent notifications from Hudson have been false
> alarms. Apparently this is not a problem specific to Synapse. Few days
> back the same concern was raised on mina-dev@ as well.

There were a couple of builds that failed with "Server returned HTTP
response code: 502". These failures were actually caused by
repository.apache.org running out of resources. A build on Continuum
would have failed with the same error.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.