Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Zeleznik <dz...@ilog.com> on 2003/04/01 19:28:44 UTC

Bootstrap build info

Hi,

After using beta8 for several weeks, I tried unsuccessfully several times to
build Maven from source. In the end, I discovered that if you have a
${user.home}/build.properties file, this must be deleted or temporarilly
renamed before starting the bootstrap build. This crucial bit of info is
missing from the docs at http://maven.apache.org/start/bootstrap.html. In my
case, I had an overridden maven.repo.local property pointing to my beta8
repo cache. This seemed to be the culprit that was causing the bootstrap
builds to fail. In the end, it seems safest just to make sure that you do
not have any $user.home/build.properties file before starting the build.
Maybe someone can update the docs?

--------------------------------------
David Zeleznik
ILOG - Changing the rules of business
mailto:dzeleznik@ilog.com
http://www.ilog.com

RE: Bootstrap build info

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 16:13, David Zeleznik wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I have done some more testing. FYI, my environment is Win2000, Ant 1.5.2,
> and jUnit 3.8.1.

Almost all the core developers point their local repo somewhere other
than the default as it's very annoying to have to download everything
during every bootstrap. I've had a pointer to my local repo, which is
outside the maven home directory, far prior to the release of beta-8 and
have never experienced any problems. I believe Dion and Bob do the same
thing. I would venture to say the problem is on your end.

RE: Bootstrap build info

Posted by David Zeleznik <dz...@ilog.com>.
> Maybe you have no ant-optional-x.y.jar in that repo??? Or a bad
> one....try
> blowing it away.

Thanks so much! Indeed, the ant-optional-1.5.1.jar in my repo was corrupted
and only 224K (should be 640K). Not sure how that happened and why I never
noticed it during a month of daily maven usage. Doesn't matter, my bootstrap
builds are fine now.

Regards,

--------------------------------------

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

RE: Bootstrap build info

Posted by David Zeleznik <dz...@ilog.com>.
Hi Jason,

RE: Bootstrap build info

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 13:13, David Zeleznik wrote:
> > > After using beta8 for several weeks, I tried unsuccessfully
> > several times to
> > > build Maven from source. In the end, I discovered that if you have a
> > > ${user.home}/build.properties file, this must be deleted or temporarilly
> > > renamed before starting the bootstrap build.
> >
> > No, it does not. I have a ~/build.properties file and I bootstrap all
> > the time.
>
> Are you defining maven.repo.local to point to a directory other than
> $MAVEN_HOME/repository? This seemed to be the problem for me.

Yes I am.

> --------------------------------------
> David Zeleznik
> ILOG - Changing the rules of business
> mailto:dzeleznik@ilog.com
> http://www.ilog.com
> --------------------------------------
>

> > > This crucial bit of info is
> > > missing from the docs at
> > http://maven.apache.org/start/bootstrap.html. In my
> > > case, I had an overridden maven.repo.local property pointing to my beta8
> > > repo cache. This seemed to be the culprit that was causing the bootstrap
> > > builds to fail. In the end, it seems safest just to make sure
> > that you do
> > > not have any $user.home/build.properties file before starting the build.
> > > Maybe someone can update the docs?
> > >
> > > --------------------------------------
> > > David Zeleznik
> > > ILOG - Changing the rules of business
> > > mailto:dzeleznik@ilog.com
> > > http://www.ilog.com
> > --
> > jvz.
> >
> > Jason van Zyl
> > jason@zenplex.com
> > http://tambora.zenplex.org
> >
> > In short, man creates for himself a new religion of a rational
> > and technical order to justify his work and to be justified in it.
> >
> >   -- Jacques Ellul, The Technological Society

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: Bootstrap build info

Posted by David Zeleznik <dz...@ilog.com>.

Re: Bootstrap build info

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 12:28, David Zeleznik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After using beta8 for several weeks, I tried unsuccessfully several times to
> build Maven from source. In the end, I discovered that if you have a
> ${user.home}/build.properties file, this must be deleted or temporarilly
> renamed before starting the bootstrap build.

No, it does not. I have a ~/build.properties file and I bootstrap all
the time.

> This crucial bit of info is
> missing from the docs at http://maven.apache.org/start/bootstrap.html. In my
> case, I had an overridden maven.repo.local property pointing to my beta8
> repo cache. This seemed to be the culprit that was causing the bootstrap
> builds to fail. In the end, it seems safest just to make sure that you do
> not have any $user.home/build.properties file before starting the build.
> Maybe someone can update the docs?

> David Zeleznik
> ILOG - Changing the rules of business
> mailto:dzeleznik@ilog.com