Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2013/04/25 21:50:51 UTC

Jena 2.10.1 / SDB 1.3.6 -- testing for next release

We'd like to get testing reports on the current Jena development build
over the next few weeks for a release of Jena 2.10.1.

You can get a copy of the development build (via maven dependency or a
download):

http://jena.staging.apache.org/download/index.html#development-builds

There are two areas of special note: Turtle output and query timeouts.

== Turtle output

The writer for Turtle which has been rewritten. The exact output layout
of the Turtle may change.

Full details of using the writing subsystem:
http://jena.staging.apache.org/documentation/io/rdf-output.html

== Query timeouts (including in Fuseki)

Timeouts were not firing in the right places so that often the
time-to-first-row was remaining and behaving as the time-to-last-row.
This is fixed - if you use query timeouts in Fuseki you'll see a
difference in behaviour if you had timeouts going off.

Also The status code from a timeouts query was incorrectly 408 - it's
now 503.

== SDB

At the same time, we'd like to do a separate, coordinated release of SDB
to align the libraries.

But we need help from SDB users in order to get proper testing of SDB.
Please test 1.3.6-SNAPSHOT

(if there aren't enough test reports, we'll have to then see whether a
release of SDB is a good idea or not)

	Andy

Re: Jena 2.10.1 / SDB 1.3.6 -- testing for next release

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 29/04/13 21:58, Lebling, David (US SSA) wrote:
> Andy,
>
> What is the previous stable release to 2.10.1-SNAPSHOT? I tried upgrading my 2.7.3 to 2.10.0 and have had no success. (I think the issue may be that the transition from openjena to jena was incomplete in 2.10.0?) Is there a 2.9.x release you would recommend as an intermediate step? 2.9.2?

Theer wasn't a 2.9.  jena-core went 2.7 -> 2.10, ARQ went 2.9 -> 2.10

> My site seems to be unhappy with Apache's use of https: for the snapshot repositories and complains about missing certs.

What a nuisance.

I've copied the latest build (#42) to my ~ space which is http without
bumping up to https.

http://people.apache.org/~andy/jena-sdb-1.3.6-20130427.163903-42-distribution.zip

	Andy

Posted by "Lebling, David (US SSA)" <da...@baesystems.com>.
Andy,

Posted by "Lebling, David (US SSA)" <da...@baesystems.com>.
That's exactly correct.

Dave

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Dave,

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 29/04/13 12:38, Lebling, David (US SSA) wrote:
> Andy,
>
>> The ClassNotFound is just some internal reorganisation to improve
>> the modularity of the code base.  That's why I'd prefer not to let
>> SDB get too out of sync with the main releases.
>
> I can understand that. The exact problem has to do with other
> third-party code we are using and cannot update to a newer version.
> In the end there is a tangle of four different versions of xercesImpl
> that ends up with the wrong one being loaded for SDB (or possibly
> Jena itself, since the dependency is IIRC in your parent POM).

Always a problem.

Despite having to name an explicit version, Jena is not actually
particularly sensitive to the Xerces version anymore at least to within
a few minor versions. Jena does call into Xerces "internals" but they
are so widely used they are a de facto API nowadays.

Or you can download the source and rebuild with a different Xerces
version and see if it works.

Similarly, using a newer version of Xerces other packages is often worth
ago if you can.

>> Was there a JIRA raised for the "duplicate node" error?
>
> You posted on 4/17 some ruminations on the cause, etc. I did not
> raise a JIRA, so if you didn't my guess is there isn't one.

Could you raise a JIRA please?

	Andy

Posted by "Lebling, David (US SSA)" <da...@baesystems.com>.
Andy,

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Lebling, David (US SSA)" <da...@baesystems.com>.
Andy,

I'd love to be able to test SDB 1.3.6 but we are not able to update to Jena 2.10.1 for reasons too tedious to go into here, and trying to use this SDB with an older version of Jena (*cough* 2.7.3 *cough) doesn't seem to work, probably not to your surprise. The exact exception is: "Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jena.atlas.lib.Lib". SDB 1.3.5 worked fine in that environment, aside from the SDB "duplicate node" error I reported earlier.

Dave Lebling